The reasons for Amenorrhea can be man-made, like excessive exercising or dieting, obsessive eating or it could be due to complicated underlying abnormalities.
The reasons for Primary Amenorrhea are wide and varied. The main causes for delayed or lack of menstruation has is roots in natural causes like heredity or malnutrition or in a malady related to the endocrine system, as in the case of Hypothyroidism. Structural abnormalities like an abnormal uterus or an obstructed vaginal tract could indicate underlying, Congenital, Chromosomal or Gynecological anomalies. Some other commonly observed causes are:
- Extreme weight loss as in the case of Anorexia or Bulimia.
- Over-weight or Obesity
- Excessive physical activity
- Chromosomal abnormalities like Turner's Syndrome
- Being on drugs like Tranquillizers or Anti-depressants
- Chronic Illness
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Closed Hymen ( a membrane of the vaginal opening)
- Balachander,G; Raghavan, G; Rajaram, SS (1993)
- J.Obstetrics and. Gynaecology of India, 43(4): 599-604