History of Leprosy
Leprosy is one of the oldest maladies and is well recognized in the oldest civilization of China, Egypt and India as a contagious, mutilating and incurable disease. The humans feared it because it resulted in disfigurement and physical disabilities, which are irreversible. Leprosy is also associated with a lot of stigma and in ancient times the community shunned people affected with leprosy into separate leper colonies.
Leprosy is believed to have existed in Egypt as long ago as 4000 BC and in India and Japan earlier than 1000 BC. It is also called as the infectious disease of the East. It later spread to Europe and British Isles and by 13th century it reached epidemic proportions.
Leprosy - References
- Leprosy elimination - (http://www.who.int/lep/)
- Leprosy - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001347.htm)
Latest Publications and Research on Leprosy
- A Translucent Yellow-brown Papule on the Nose. - Published by PubMed
- Ibuprofen-induced generalised bullous fixed drug eruption. - Published by PubMed
- Yaws in the Philippines: first reported cases since the 1970s. - Published by PubMed
- Indian Sarsaparilla (Hemidesmus indicus): Recent progress in research on ethnobotany, phytochemistry and pharmacology. - Published by PubMed
- Effectiveness and safety of autologous platelet-rich plasma therapy with total contact casting versus total contact casting alone in treatment of trophic ulcer in leprosy: An observer-blind, randomized controlled trial. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sangamithra. (2020, August 07). Leprosy / Hansen's Disease - History. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/leprosy.htm.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Leprosy / Hansen's Disease - History". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/leprosy.htm>.
Dr. Sangamithra. "Leprosy / Hansen's Disease - History". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/leprosy.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Sangamithra. 2021. Leprosy / Hansen's Disease - History. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/leprosy.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Dermatologist for your problem? Ask your question
3 years experience
Well baby and skin clinic , Prem Nagar, Jhotwara