This is achieved by religiously adhering to sleep hygiene practices, though this may not always be practical. Prevention of insomnia centers on promoting a healthy lifestyle. A balance of rest, recreation and exercise, in combination with stress management, and a healthy diet can do much to reduce the risk of insomnia. Some helpful tips are provided below:
- It is wise not to eat a large meal within two hours of bedtime. The best routine is to have a large meal during the day and a small meal or snack in the evening.
- A glass of warm milk 15 minutes before going to bed will soothe the nervous system. Milk contains calcium, which calms the nerves and helps one to relax.
- Taking a warm water bath an hour before bedtime is also known to help. This alters the body's core temperature rhythm and helps people to fall asleep readily, and to maintain sleep.
- Reading, meditation, and taking a leisurely walk before bedtime are all appropriate activities that help to relax and promote sleep.
- Set aside time to clear your mind of all worrying thoughts before going to bed.