Double vision, a condition where two images are formed of an object instead of one, is a troublesome disorder that could interfere with daily activities.
Double vision or diplopia is a visual disorder that results in two images of a single object rather than one. Most common cause of diplopia is a new or recent onset squint.
Diplopia is of two types. Double vision when both eyes are open is called ‘binocular diplopia’ and double vision with one eye closed is ‘uniocular diplopia’. Causes of double vision differ in each.
Cataract is the most common cause of double vision. Other causes being diabetes, myasthenia gravis, thyroid eye disease, multiple sclerosis, raised pressure in the brain, brain tumors, migraine, aneurysms and strokes.
Diplopia is a very troublesome visual disorder. Ability to read, walk and perform common activities is disrupted due to double vision. Depending on the cause, other symptoms like squint, pain around the eye, headache, nausea and droopy eyelids may be present along with double vision.
Diplopia of recent onset requires immediate medical attention as it could be a sign of a potentially serious condition. Blood tests and imaging like CT or MRI are frequently used for diagnosis.
Double vision can be eliminated by identifying and treating its cause. Surgery, medications and treatment with special glasses can all help minimize the effect of double vision.
- Ophthalmology, dermatology, ENT, By Seau-Tak Cheung
- Diagnosis and Management of Ocular Motility Disorders, By Alec M. Ansons, Helen Davis
- Binocular vision and orthoptics: investigation and management, By Sandip Doshi, Bruce J. W. Evans
- A Dictionary of Neurological Signs, By Andrew J. Larner
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Rashida Shabbir Tankiwala . (2016, April 18). Double Vision- Abstract, Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 10, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/double-vision.htm.
Dr. Rashida Shabbir Tankiwala . "Double Vision- Abstract, Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment". Medindia. Jun 10, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/double-vision.htm>.
Dr. Rashida Shabbir Tankiwala . "Double Vision- Abstract, Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/double-vision.htm. (accessed Jun 10, 2023).
Dr. Rashida Shabbir Tankiwala . 2016. Double Vision- Abstract, Types, Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment. Medindia, viewed Jun 10, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/double-vision.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Double Vision
- A double-blind test of blue-blocking filters on symptoms of digital eye strain. - Published by PubMed
- Open Reduction Effects of Digitally Treating Zygomaticomaxillary Complex Fractures With Bio-Resorbable Materials. - Published by PubMed
- Myopia Outcome Study of Atropine in Children (MOSAIC): an investigator-led, double-masked, placebo-controlled, randomised clinical trial protocol. - Published by PubMed
- Endovascular treatment of cerebral venous sinus stenosis based on hemodynamic assessment using pressure wire: case report. - Published by PubMed
- Comparative Analysis of Endoscopic Transorbital Approach and Extended Mini-Pterional Approach for Sphenoid Wing Meningiomas with Osseous Involvement: Preliminary Surgical Results. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
32 years experience
10 years experience
Shantived Institute of Medical Sciences, Sikandra, Agra
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Vashi, Navi Mumbai
6 years experience
Olive Christian Hospital and Research Centre, Dimapur