- Artificial blood vessels are developed as an alternate source of grafts by using tissue engineering.
- During closure of the chest or legs after surgery, surgical clips have been tried to staple skin instead of sutures. Research shows the outcome of wound is better with subcuticular sutures compared to clips and is also cost effective.
- First heart surgery using robots were performed in 2001 to repair a mitral valve. Robotic surgery Institute is researching new treatment options for patients with coronary artery disease. In robotic surgery a surgeon operates the robot for more precise cuts and vessel anastomosis.
- Studies show that restricting blood supply to the arm prior to surgery reduces the release of a chemical called ‘Troponin T’ giving a better outcome.
- In April 2007, an infant underwent bypass surgery on a beating heart in India. He was born with a heart condition (severe narrowing of the left main coronary artery), which gave him a massive heart attack when he was just a year old. With his heart function very low, he was showing symptoms of heart failure. His heart muscles were not dead and the doctors decided to try and resupply the muscle instead of waiting for a heart transplant. The 3-hour procedure on this 15 month old was a success.
- Studies are being undertaken to prevent and cure restenosis of the coronary arteries.
- Transmyocardial revascularization using excimer laser can be an alternative to CABG or Angioplasty in patients with severe coronary artery disease. This method currently uses CO2 laser creating pathways from ventricles to myocardium that needs blood supply. Using excimer laser can be of advantage because studies show that it can cause less stroke/air emboli, increase the term of channel potency and decreases scarring and faster healing.
- Evaluation of indications for PTCA - (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9081904&dopt=AbstractPlus)
- Cardiothoracic & Vascular surgery in IndiaAchievements & future goals - (http://medind.nic.in/ibq/t05/i2/ibqt05i2p133.pdf)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery (CABG) - (http://www.medicinenet.com/coronary_artery_bypass_graft/page4.htm)
- Infant undergoes beating heart surgery - (http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1093376)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/coronaryarterybypasssurgery.html#cat57)
- Clips versus suture technique: is there a difference? - (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11109037&dopt=AbstractPlus)