Long term prognosis for patients with congestive heart or cardiac failure
Periods of stability may alternate with episodes of exacerbations. The New York Heart Association has classified patients with heart failure into NYHA classes.
Congestive heart failure is generally a progressive disease. The course of the disease varies with each individual. Factors that affect the Long term prognosis for patients with congestive heart failure include:
- The nature of the heart disease
- Response to drugs
- The degree of involvement of other organ systems are involved
- Severity of accompanying conditions
- The person's clinical condition and degree of impairment
- Other lesser known factors also play their role
With the availability of newer drugs, prognosis has significantly improved.
The New York Heart Association has classified patients with heart failure into the following classes:
- NYHA class 1: patients with a dampened heart but without limitation or symptoms
- NYHA class 2: only limitation at harder workloads.
- NYHA class 3: limitation at everyday activity.
- NYHA class 4: severe symptoms even at rest; even on the slightest effort.
- Cecil Medicine, 23rd Ed.
- Harrison''s PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, 17TH Edition
- Amsterdam EA. Revised American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association guidelines for the management of heart failure. Prev Cardiol. 2005 Fall;8(4):254, 256.
- Heart Failure Society Of America. Evaluation and management of patients with acute decompensated heart failure. J Card Fail. 2006 Feb;12(1):e86-e103. Review.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2019, December 13). Long term prognosis for patients with congestive heart or cardiac failure . Medindia. Retrieved on May 24, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congestive-heart-failure-prognosis.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Long term prognosis for patients with congestive heart or cardiac failure ". Medindia. May 24, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congestive-heart-failure-prognosis.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Long term prognosis for patients with congestive heart or cardiac failure ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congestive-heart-failure-prognosis.htm. (accessed May 24, 2022).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Long term prognosis for patients with congestive heart or cardiac failure . Medindia, viewed May 24, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/congestive-heart-failure-prognosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
5 years experience
Wockhardt Hospital in Nashik, Renuka Nagar
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar