Colo-rectal Cancer Management - Prevention
Healthy lifestyle measures and regular screening can help prevent colorectal cancer.
The measures to be adopted are:
- Screening: Get screened regularly beginning at age 50. If there is a family history of colorectal cancer or inflammatory bowel disease then the screening begins earlier
- High fiber diet: Eat plenty of vegetables, fruits and high-fiber foods. It is recommended to include at least five servings of fruits and vegetables each day and several servings of other food from plant sources such as breads, cereals, grains, rice, pasta, or beans
- Low fat diet: Avoid foods that are high in fat. A low-fat, high-fiber diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can prevent colorectal cancer and provide additional health benefits
- Ideal body weight: Exercise and maintain a normal body weight. Since obesity has been identified as a risk factor for colorectal cancer, maintaining a healthy weight can reduce this risk
- Diet: Eating a low fat diet and getting regular exercise are excellent ways to stay fit
- Smoking and alcohol: Avoid Smoking or smoke and drink alcohol only in moderation. Studies indicate that smokers are 30 to 40 percent more likely than nonsmokers to develop colorectal cancer because they are more likely to develop polyps
Some studies suggest that taking a daily multivitamin with folic acid may also lower risk for colorectal cancer. Others indicate that getting more calcium, either via supplements or calcium-rich foods, may have a beneficial effect.
- Colorectal Cancer-Patient Version - (http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/colon-and-rectal)
- Colorectal Cancer - (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/colorectalcancer.html)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Anitha Paderla. (2020, July 07). Colo-rectal Cancer Management - Prevention. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/colorectal-cancer-management-prevention.htm.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Colo-rectal Cancer Management - Prevention". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/colorectal-cancer-management-prevention.htm>.
Dr. Anitha Paderla. "Colo-rectal Cancer Management - Prevention". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/colorectal-cancer-management-prevention.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Dr. Anitha Paderla. 2021. Colo-rectal Cancer Management - Prevention. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/colorectal-cancer-management-prevention.htm.