Cardio vascular disease (CVD) is a leading cause of morbidity and mortality. Most of the deaths occur even before a patient reaches the hospital for treatment. Cardiac markers are biomarkers which are measured to evaluate the function of heart.
A number of conditions can lead to an elevation in cardiac marker level, the most important one being myocardial infarction (MI), commonly known as a heart attack. Many of the markers are enzymes; the term "cardiac enzymes" is sometimes used. However, not all the markers are enzymes. Troponin for example is not an enzyme in formal terms.
Aspartate Amino transferase was perhaps the first biochemical marker to be used; it was described in 1954. With the advent of electrophoresis method walked in Creatine Kinase and Lactate Dehydrogenase iso enzymes. The use of cTnT brought about a revolution in 1992. The introduction of Cardiac troponins heralded a new age in the diagnosis and treatment or management of a broad spectrum of diseases.
- Cecil Medicine, 23rd Ed. Harrison's PRINCIPLES OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, 17TH Edition
- Cardiovasc Pathol. 2007 Nov-Dec;16(6):329-35. Epub 2007 Jun 20.
- INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CLINICAL & LABORATORY RESEARCH Volume 29, Number 2, 56-63, DOI: 10.1007/s005990050064
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Nithin Jayan. (2018, July 04). Cardiac Markers - Types Indications Cardiac Marker genes Research. Medindia. Retrieved on Jan 28, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-markers.htm.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Cardiac Markers - Types Indications Cardiac Marker genes Research". Medindia. Jan 28, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-markers.htm>.
Dr. Nithin Jayan. "Cardiac Markers - Types Indications Cardiac Marker genes Research". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-markers.htm. (accessed Jan 28, 2023).
Dr. Nithin Jayan. 2021. Cardiac Markers - Types Indications Cardiac Marker genes Research. Medindia, viewed Jan 28, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/cardiac-markers.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Cardiac Markers
- Circulating follicular T helper cells and humoral reactivity in rheumatic heart disease. - Published by PubMed
- Metabolic Profiles Help Discriminate Mild Cognitive Impairment from Dementia Stage in Alzheimer's Disease. - Published by PubMed
- Cow's milk polar lipids reduce atherogenic lipoprotein cholesterol, modulate gut microbiota and attenuate atherosclerosis development in LDL-receptor knockout mice fed a Western-type diet. - Published by PubMed
- Current immunoassay methods and their applications to clinically used biomarkers of breast cancer. - Published by PubMed
- Rosuvastatin and retinoic acid may act as 'pleiotropic agents' against ß-adrenergic agonist-induced acute myocardial injury through modulation of multiple signalling pathways. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Cardiologist for your problem? Ask your question
21 years experience
Apoorva Superspeciality Medical Centre, Jayanagar, Bangalore
8 years experience