Breech Presentation and Delivery - About
Breech presentation during pregnancy means that the buttocks of the fetus are presenting first at the bottom of the uterus, and the head is in the upper part or fundus of the uterus. The uterus is shaped rather like an upside-down pear, so the baby's head fits in the lower part, with more room at the top for movement of the extremities. As the baby grows, the uterus gets more crowded and it is most common for it to assume the head -down presentation. Generally, the placenta is attached at the side of the uterus, which seems to encourage the head-down presentation, too. There are a number of variations of the breech presentation, determined by the position of the baby's body parts, like arms and legs, in relation to his or her head and trunk. They are -
- Frank breech (50-70%) - Hips flexed, knees extended with the feet near the face (pike position).
- Complete breech (5-10%) - Hips flexed, knees flexed (cannonball position).
- Footling or incomplete (10-30%) - One or both hips extended, foot presenting.
- Kneeling breech - the baby is in a kneeling position, with one or both legs extended at the hips and flexed at the knees. This is extremely rare.
Breech Presentation and Delivery - References:
- Breech Presentation - (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3272.htm)
- Breech birth - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_birth)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. D. Sunitha. (2019, December 19). Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 08, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery.htm.
Dr. D. Sunitha. "Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth". Medindia. Dec 08, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery.htm>.
Dr. D. Sunitha. "Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery.htm. (accessed Dec 08, 2022).
Dr. D. Sunitha. 2021. Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth. Medindia, viewed Dec 08, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Breech Presentation and Delivery
- Trial of labor after cesarean in women in their second delivery - labor characteristics and postpartum factors which influence a patient's choice. - Published by PubMed
- Obstetrical and neonatal outcomes after successful external cephalic version relative to those after spontaneous cephalic presentations. - Published by PubMed
- Cesarean delivery: trend in indications over three decades within a major city hospital network. - Published by PubMed
- Identifying risk factors for perinatal death at Tororo District Hospital, Uganda: a case-control study. - Published by PubMed
- Understanding Factors Leading to Primary Cesarean Section and Vaginal Birth After Cesarean Delivery in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia Region (North-Eastern Italy), 2005-2015. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Obstetrician and Gynaecologist (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
14 years experience
38 years experience
SANTATI, Arvind Hospital, Near Khuda Bukax Khan Library, Patna
11 years experience
Delhi IVF And Fertility Research Centre, Bengali Market, New Delhi
3 years experience
Neo mother and child care clinic, Khurram nagar, Lucknow