Breech Presentation and Delivery - Diagnosis
Diagnosis of Breech is by either physical examination or by ultrasound. By 28 weeks gestation, 30% of babies present by breech. This falls to 3% at full term. The following methods are used to diagnose breech presentation.
- Abdominal Palpation (Leopold's maneuvers) - A breech presentation might be found during a routine prenatal visit when the nurse-midwife or physician feels the mother's abdomen for the outline of the fetus. The baby's head and bottom may feel similar, but the head is characteristically ballotable (i.e. it will "bounce" back and forth between the examiner's hands).
- Listening to the baby's heartbeat - Hearing the heartbeat above the mother's umbilicus suggests a breech presentation.
- Vaginal examination - It is done to confirm the diagnosis. The firm section of the head is not felt in pelvis but a softer organ like buttocks and or feet may be felt.
- Ultrasound - It is the most reliable test as it can visualize the fetus and reveal its position.
Breech Presentation and Delivery - References:
- Breech Presentation - (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3272.htm)
- Breech birth - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_birth)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. D. Sunitha. (2019, December 19). Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Diagnosis. Medindia. Retrieved on May 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-diagnosis.htm.
Dr. D. Sunitha. "Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Diagnosis". Medindia. May 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-diagnosis.htm>.
Dr. D. Sunitha. "Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Diagnosis". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-diagnosis.htm. (accessed May 25, 2022).
Dr. D. Sunitha. 2021. Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Diagnosis. Medindia, viewed May 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-diagnosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
Chennai Diabetes And Endocrine Clinic, Near Lamech School