Breech Presentation and Delivery - Causes
The causes and predisposing factors for breech presentation include-
- Pre term labor - When labor starts when the baby is still small enough to move rather freely in the uterus. This usually occurs at 7-8 months rather than the usual 9 months.
- Uterine malformations - an unusual shape of the mother's uterus, where there is a partition in the uterus (septate uterus) or the uterus has two incomplete divisions (bicornuate), may predispose to breech presentations.
- Space occupying mass - fibroids in the lower part of the uterus may predispose to breech presentations.
- Polyhydramnios - too much of amniotic fluid may allow the fetus too much movement.
- Fetal abnormalities - like malformations of brain, neck masses and aneuploidy
- Multiple gestations (more than one fetus) - Breech presentation may result due to the limited space in the uterus.
- Multiparity - in particular grand multips. Increased maternal parity leads to increased laxity of the uterus and increases the risk of breech presentation.
- Short umbilical cord
- Placenta previa - Placental implantation over the cervical opening instead of being on the side may lead to breech presentation.
- Placental, cornual or fundal implantation - also increases the risk of breech presentation.
Breech Presentation and Delivery - References:
- Breech Presentation - (http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3272.htm)
- Breech birth - (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breech_birth)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. D. Sunitha. (2019, December 19). Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Causes. Medindia. Retrieved on May 20, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-causes.htm.
Dr. D. Sunitha. "Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Causes". Medindia. May 20, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-causes.htm>.
Dr. D. Sunitha. "Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Causes". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-causes.htm. (accessed May 20, 2022).
Dr. D. Sunitha. 2021. Breech Presentation and Delivery / Breech Birth - Causes. Medindia, viewed May 20, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/breech-presentation-delivery-causes.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Obstetricians and Gynecologists (OB/GYN) for your problem? Ask your question
28 years experience
Mangai Womens Health Exclusive, ANNANAGAR
9 years experience
DR Ankita Mandal, Near Greenwood Park