Indications of Artificial Insemination
Male Partner :
- Inability to ejaculate into the vagina.
- This can occur in a number of clinical conditions such as diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
- Trauma or injury to the spinal cord following a road traffic accident.
- Retrograde ejaculation.
- A condition where the sperms enter the urinary bladder rather than coming down the male urethra. This can be caused due to diseases like diabetes.
- It can also result from an operation or surgery that destroys the value that prevents the backflow of sperms into the urethra.
- Less commonly it can be the result of some drugs used for treatment purposes.
- Men with sperm count lower than that required for successful fertilization
- Men with poor quality sperms that poses difficulties with fertilization
- Mechanical difficulties with intercourse (Structural abnormalities of the penis owing to trauma or injury).
- Patients who wish to store their sperms prior to radiotherapy or chemotherapy
- Patients who wish to store their sperm before vasectomy (Reversal of vasectomy is surgically expensive invasive and the success rate is highly variable.
- Utilization of stored semen sample for fertilization when husband is not available at the appropriate timing for treatment. It is indeed frustrating when the male partner is unavailable during optimal time for the procedure. It also helps preserve the time and finances from being wasted due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Unexpected changes in a patientís life such as new marriage, death of child or desire to have more children.
- Cervical mucus insufficiency
- Poor quality cervical mucus
- Structural abnormalities associated with the female reproductive tract
- Contact allergy to semen (very rare)
- Women with endometriosis
- Idiopathic or unexplained infertility
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, May 28). Indications of Artificial Insemination. Medindia. Retrieved on May 22, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/artificialinsemination_indications.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Indications of Artificial Insemination". Medindia. May 22, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/artificialinsemination_indications.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Indications of Artificial Insemination". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/artificialinsemination_indications.htm. (accessed May 22, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Indications of Artificial Insemination. Medindia, viewed May 22, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/artificialinsemination_indications.htm.