Amoebic Dysentery - Treatment
- Involves taking antibiotic drugs to kill the parasites, the commonly used antibiotics are-
- Bed rest and drinking a solution (containing salt and glucose) to replace losses from the diarrhoea and for rehydration may also be necessary.
- Painkillers and muscle relaxants are given to treat stomach or abdominal pain.
- Complicated cases may require hospitalisation.
- If dehydration is severe, intravenous fluids may be required.
- It is very important not to consume alcohol during treatment.
- After treatment, regular stool tests will be taken to ensure that the parasite is completely eradicated, as amoebiasis has a tendency to recur at intervals.
- Davidson Text Of Medicine (17th Edition)
- Oxfords Handbook of medicine
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2014, June 26). Amoebic Dysentery - Treatment. Medindia. Retrieved on May 23, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/amoebicdysentery_treatment.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Amoebic Dysentery - Treatment". Medindia. May 23, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/amoebicdysentery_treatment.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Amoebic Dysentery - Treatment". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/amoebicdysentery_treatment.htm. (accessed May 23, 2022).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Amoebic Dysentery - Treatment. Medindia, viewed May 23, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/amoebicdysentery_treatment.htm.