Preventions And Precautions
There is no immunization to protect against gastrointestinal amoebiasis.
- Always wash hands with soap after going to the toilet as well as before preparing and eating food.
- The best way to avoid infection with amoebic cysts is to ensure that everything eaten or drunk has been washed or sterilised properly and cooked thoroughly.
- While travelling avoid foods like-
- Peeled fruit
- Ice cream
- Ice cubes may be made of contaminated water, hence it is best to try and avoid having drinks that contain ice in roadside hotels especially in tropical countries
- Consumption of clean and sterile drinking water.
- Water can be made safe by, by boiling it for 10 to 15 minutes, and then cooling it rapidly and keeping it covered. It is important to remember that the chemical methods of sterilisation are not a guaranteed method to completely destroy all possible harmful organisms.
- Davidson Text Of Medicine (17th Edition)
- Oxfords Handbook of medicine