Amoebic Dysentery - Overview
It is also known as Amoebiasis or Traveller's Diarrhoea.
- It is the infection of the large intestine, sometimes involving the liver. It causes diarrhoea among other symptoms.
- Frequently affects people whose hygiene is poor.
- Travellers to countries with poor sanitation are at greater risk of contracting the disease (hence known as traveller's diarrhoea).
- It can affect any one young or old of either sex.
About 10% of the world's population is infected with amoebas, particularly people who live in
- Central America
- South America
- Tropical areas of Asia.
In industrialized countries, amoebiasis is very common among recent immigrants and travellers who visit countries where amoebas are prevalent.
- Davidson Text Of Medicine (17th Edition)
- Oxfords Handbook of medicine