Incidence of Agoraphobia
Agoraphobia like all other phobias is seen to occur more commonly in women than men and
- The condition usually develops during the late 20's or in the early 30's of ones life.
- It is characterized by a sudden onset of symptoms without any apparent cause and in some situations the severity of the condition is known to reduce spontaneously.
- Agoraphobia is reported to affect approximately 3.2 million American adults between ages 18 to 54 or about 2.2% of people of this age group in a year.
- Statistics on Agoraphobia show that the lifetime prevalence is estimated at around 5-12%.
- The incidence of agoraphobia is seen to be similar across races and ethnic groups in the U.S.
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (IVth Edition): Oxford University Press - Michael Gelder, Richard Mayou & Philip Cowen.
- A Short Textbook of Psychiatry (Vth Edition): Jaypee Brothers, -Niraj Ahuja, MD.
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialities. 6th Edition. Oxford press. -Judith Colier, Murray longmore, Peter Scally.