Diagnosis of Agoraphobia
A doctor after carefully excluding any or all other signs of mental & physical disorders, or diseases, that might be related to the patient's fears, diagnosis Agoraphobia.
Based on the individual's description of their symptoms, the doctor usually makes his diagnosis of Agoraphobia.
There are two characteristic features for the diagnosis of Agoraphobia namely-
- Agoraphobia with Panic attacks
- Many individuals associate the onset of their symptoms with panic attacks.
- Agoraphobia without Panic attacks.
- There are many cases where the condition sets in spontaneously depending on situations.
The doctor normally considers the following before he could make his diagnosis-
- The symptoms expressed by the patients should be due to anxiety and should not be secondary to other symptoms, like Delusions or obsessions.
- The anxiety episode must be triggered in at least two of the following situations:
- Public places.
- Travelling away from home.
- Travelling alone.
- Shorter Oxford Textbook of Psychiatry (IVth Edition): Oxford University Press - Michael Gelder, Richard Mayou & Philip Cowen.
- A Short Textbook of Psychiatry (Vth Edition): Jaypee Brothers, -Niraj Ahuja, MD.
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialities. 6th Edition. Oxford press. -Judith Colier, Murray longmore, Peter Scally.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Vivekanand. (2014, September 18). Diagnosis of Agoraphobia. Medindia. Retrieved on Feb 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-diagnosis.htm.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Diagnosis of Agoraphobia". Medindia. Feb 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-diagnosis.htm>.
Dr. Vivekanand. "Diagnosis of Agoraphobia". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-diagnosis.htm. (accessed Feb 01, 2023).
Dr. Vivekanand. 2021. Diagnosis of Agoraphobia. Medindia, viewed Feb 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/agoraphobia-diagnosis.htm.
Do you wish to consult a Neurologist for your problem? Ask your question
22 years experience
15 years experience