The diaphragm is the sheet of muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen. Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) is a hole in the diaphragm and may be from one inch to several inches across.
This results in the intestines (and sometimes the stomach) entering the chest cavity preventing lung growth. It usually occurs on the left side of the chest. The cause of this condition is unknown. This is a rare condition and occurs in about 1:2000 babies. It happens at about the third month of pregnancy.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, November 04). Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia-Paehernia-Detection-After Delivery-Effects. Medindia. Retrieved on May 27, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/paehernia.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia-Paehernia-Detection-After Delivery-Effects". Medindia. May 27, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/paehernia.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia-Paehernia-Detection-After Delivery-Effects". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/paehernia.htm. (accessed May 27, 2023).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2014. Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia-Paehernia-Detection-After Delivery-Effects. Medindia, viewed May 27, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/paehernia.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia
- More than just a cough: Late presentation of congenital diaphragmatic hernia. - Published by PubMed
- Surgical Complications in Children with CDH: A Multivariate Analysis. - Published by PubMed
- Early surgical complications after congenital diaphragmatic hernia repair by thoracotomy vs. laparotomy: A bicentric comparison. - Published by PubMed
- Educational level and socioeconomic status in patients born with congenital diaphragmatic hernia: A population-based study. - Published by PubMed
- Comparison of mediastinal shift angles obtained with ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging in fetuses with isolated left sided congenital diaphragmatic hernia. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a General Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
9 years experience
45 years experience
, Residency Road, Kollam
3 years experience
11 years experience
I had a CHD when I was born, I am now 18 and wondering if I am able to carry and birth a baby with all the scar tissue I have and my left side of my rib sticking out? I'm told by people that I am not able to. Is this true?
I was born with Morgagni hernia in 1989 and still to this day I have chest pain [i have been going to the hospital for it for as long as I can remember] that no one can explain. With no one being able to help some one started thinking about it. They were wondering if there was any way it could be a charlie horse where the scar tissue is? Since 1989 how much has changed on the surgery and is there anything from it that could be causing the chest pain?
Statistics of cdh.