Do's & Don'ts for Bedwetting
- Stay calm, be prepared and try not to worry.
- Encourage your child for staying dry; give awards for dry nights.
- Encourage the child to drink plenty; it is important that they recognize the feeling of full bladder.
- Avoid fizzy drinks, tea, coffee, chocolate; these can irritate bladder and can cause more urine production.
- Ensure that the child goes to toilet before bed.
- Make sure that easy access to toilet is available at night.
- Allow the child to help with changing the bed; this helps them to understand the problem and overcome it.
- Make sure that the child has a bath each morning. This removes the smell of urine and avoids the child being teased at school.
- Do not get cross with your child; it is not their fault.
- Do not use waking the child as a long term strategy to overcome bedwetting; instead get help from a doctor.
- Donít give up. 99% of these children get better by adulthood.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, December 04). Do's & Don'ts for Bedwetting. Medindia. Retrieved on May 16, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/eneuresis-dos-donts.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Do's & Don'ts for Bedwetting". Medindia. May 16, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/eneuresis-dos-donts.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Do's & Don'ts for Bedwetting". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/eneuresis-dos-donts.htm. (accessed May 16, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Do's & Don'ts for Bedwetting. Medindia, viewed May 16, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/eneuresis-dos-donts.htm.