Emergencies - Torsion Testis
The testis can go for a twist inside the sac it is held. This results in loss of blood supply. If left untreated for more than 6 hours the testis loses function.
Typical presentation is a 14 year old boy who develops severe pain, redness and swelling of the sac of testis suddenly. It is very tender to touch. It is necessary to do a surgery immediately. There is no point in wasting crucial time on different tests. Surgery is diagnostic and also curative; if blood supply returns after untwisting the testis is preserved. If the blood supply is lost the testis may have to be removed. In either case opposite testis has to be fixed to prevent twisting on that side.
Latest Publications and Research on Urology Paediatric Emergencies
- Low bone mineral density is associated with hypogonadism and cranial irradiation in male childhood cancer survivors. - Published by PubMed
- Long-term efficacy and safety of solifenacin in pediatric patients aged 6 months to 18 years with neurogenic detrusor overactivity: results from two phase 3 prospective open-label studies. - Published by PubMed
- What recent primary studies tell us about ovarian teratomas in children: a scoping review. - Published by PubMed
- MiR-155-5p exerts tumor-suppressing functions in Wilms tumor by targeting IGF2 via the PI3K signaling pathway. - Published by PubMed
- Association between Daily Water Intake and 24-hour Urine Volume Among Adolescents with Kidney Stones. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2014, December 22). Urology Paediatric Emergencies - Trauma - Renal Failure. Medindia. Retrieved on May 28, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/emergencies_torsion_testis.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Urology Paediatric Emergencies - Trauma - Renal Failure". Medindia. May 28, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/emergencies_torsion_testis.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Urology Paediatric Emergencies - Trauma - Renal Failure". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/emergencies_torsion_testis.htm. (accessed May 28, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Urology Paediatric Emergencies - Trauma - Renal Failure. Medindia, viewed May 28, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/paediatrics/emergencies_torsion_testis.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Emergency Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
8 years experience
Srinivasa Hospital, Austin Town
+ 1 more