Abdominoplasty or ‘tummy tuck’ is a cosmetic procedure that helps to tone and firm up the abdomen.
The procedure involves removing excess fat and skin from the middle and lower part of the abdomen. In most cases, the weakened or separated muscles are restored creating a smoother and firmer abdomen.
A ‘tummy tuck’ is usually desired by patients with loose tissues or sagging skin, which may be the result of a pregnancy or a major weight loss. Babies born with ‘Triad Syndrome’ are also subjected to this procedure.
Abdominoplasty can be categorized as complete or partial. A complete abdominoplasty may last for 1 - 5 hours while a partial abdominoplasty, also termed the ‘Mini-Tuck’ abdominoplasty, may take 1 - 2 hours to complete.
A tummy tuck can take 1-4 weeks to heal and it is important for the patient to stay away from strenuous activity during the recovery period. Complete recovery may take a bit longer, perhaps up to 6 months.
This surgery too is not without risks. The most prominent among them are unfavorable scarring, infection and delayed healing.
Despite the initial discomfort after the surgery, the final result of an abdominoplasty may be highly rewarding. However, it must be noted that abdominoplasty is not a substitute for weight loss nor can it correct stretch marks. However, the stretch marks can be removed or somewhat improved if they are located on the areas of skin that will be excised.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Trupti Shirole. (2014, September 25). Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty - Indication - Procedure - Recovery - Risk - FAQs. Medindia. Retrieved on Dec 02, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/tummy-tuck.htm.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty - Indication - Procedure - Recovery - Risk - FAQs". Medindia. Dec 02, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/tummy-tuck.htm>.
Dr. Trupti Shirole. "Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty - Indication - Procedure - Recovery - Risk - FAQs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/tummy-tuck.htm. (accessed Dec 02, 2022).
Dr. Trupti Shirole. 2021. Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty - Indication - Procedure - Recovery - Risk - FAQs. Medindia, viewed Dec 02, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/tummy-tuck.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty
- Improvement in Back Pain Following Abdominoplasty: Results of a 10-Year, Single-Surgeon Series. - Published by PubMed
- Geisinger MyCode® detects BRCA2 mutation prior to abdominal panniculectomy allowing for DIEP flap breast reconstruction. - Published by PubMed
- Review of Insurance Coverage for Abdominal Contouring Procedures in the Postbariatric Population. - Published by PubMed
- Single injection Quadratus Lumborum block for postoperative analgesia in adult surgical population: A systematic review and meta-analysis. - Published by PubMed
- Spreading Pattern and Tissue Response to Hyaluronic Acid Gel Injections in the Subcutis: Ultrasound Videos, Ultrasound Measurements, and Histology. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult a Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon for your problem? Ask your question
6 years experience
Apollo hospital , Palpannai, Trichy
11 years experience
Sri Sai Superspeciality Hospital, Mansarover colony , Moradabad
22 years experience
29 years experience