About Knee Replacement
Make sprinting a possibility! Relieve chronic arthritic pain by having a knee replacement done at affordable prices. Check out our list of world-class hospitals.
Several people the world over are affected by arthritis, as a result of which they suffer from incapacitating pain which hinders their everyday activities – such as walking, climbing stairs or standing for long periods.
Knee replacement is a common surgery done to relieve this pain. Also known as ‘knee arthroplasty’, this procedure is recommended by a doctor if medications or other simpler forms of treatment do not help to alleviate the pain. This surgery helps a person to be more active and self-dependant.
The procedure consists of removing the degenerated cartilage and substituting them with plastic and metal components, to facilitate easy movement of the knee. These implants vary in their design according to the manufacturers.
The knee is divided into three compartments. Majority of the patients who suffer from severe arthritis have a prominent wear in two or all three compartments. A total knee replacement is the ideal choice in such patients. In 10-30% of the patients, the wear is confined to a single compartment. These candidates may undergo a Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty (UKA).
The surgery may result in scarring, blood clots and sometimes, infections. After a knee replacement procedure, a person’s activity may be limited; he may no longer be able to take part in certain activities, such as jogging or strenuous sports. The patient must learn about the risks involved and opt for the surgery if the need arises. Continuing with the symptoms may be a bad choice, as it is bound to affect the quality of life.
India has several world-class hospitals where this surgery can be done at moderate costs.There are experienced specialists who can do the surgery effectively.The pre and post- operative care, too, is commendable.
If you traveling abroad for an affordable knee replacement surgery, we suggest that you check out the credentials of the orthopedic surgeon and the hospital or consult us first to help you.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2013, April 19). Knee Replacement. Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 26, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/knee-replacement.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Knee Replacement". Medindia. Nov 26, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/knee-replacement.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Knee Replacement". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/knee-replacement.htm. (accessed Nov 26, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Knee Replacement. Medindia, viewed Nov 26, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/medical_tourism/knee-replacement.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Knee Replacement
- 17ß-estradiol attenuates rat articular chondrocyte injury by targeting ASIC1a-mediated apoptosis. - Published by PubMed
- The clinical outcomes of cementless unicompartmental knee replacement in patients with reduced bone mineral density. - Published by PubMed
- The incidence and characteristics of accelerated knee osteoarthritis among women: the Chingford cohort. - Published by PubMed
- The Effect of Surgeon Caseload on the Relative Revision Rate of Cemented and Cementless Unicompartmental Knee Replacements: An Analysis from the National Joint Registry for England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. - Published by PubMed
- Veterans Undergoing Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty: 30-day Outcomes as Compared to the General Population. - Published by PubMed
Do you wish to consult an Orthopedic Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
7 years experience
Ashirwad Hospital, Vidhya Nagar , BEED
38 years experience
9 years experience
6 years experience