What is Hip Replacement?
Are you experiencing pain due to damaged hips? Travel abroad to get replacement surgery at affordable prices.
Hip replacement is a surgical procedure which is done to relieve pain and to restore normalcy in people with severe hip damage. It is usually considered for a patient in whom medications and other treatments have failed. The majority of the patients, requiring this surgery, fall in the 60-70 years age category.
People with osteoarthritis affecting the hips may experience severe pain, which may force them to gradually break away from all the activities that they once loved to indulge in. But with advanced treatment procedures made easily available, these individuals can, once again, regain their zest for life.
Also known as hip arthroplasty, this procedure helps to repair severe damages caused by osteo- or rheumatoid arthritis, traumatic arthritis, hip fractures,bone tumors or ankylosing spondylitis.
During this surgery, damaged cartilage and bone is removed from the hip joint and is replaced with prothetic parts made of metal and plastic.Present day choices include chrome, titanium, cobalt or ceramic. A range of artificial hip joints is available. Some of the new materials used are extremely durable and may last for more than 10 years, in 90% of the patients. In many cases the prosthesis is tailor-made to suit the needs of the patient.
The most common post operative complication is hip dislocation. Blood clots, loosening of the joint and infections are observed in some. Some patients suffer chronic pain after a hip replacement surgery . The source of the pain is not easily diagnosed, but is believed to be due to a damaged nerve.
Most individuals who have undergone a hip replacement surgery return to normal activities within two months of surgery.Certain exertive activities and sports may be required to be avoided. Yet many of these patients would be grateful for opting for the surgery, as they begin to enjoy a second lease of life.
Hip replacement surgeries are done in several hospitals across India by well trained orthopedic surgeons.
If you traveling abroad for an affordable hip replacement surgery, we suggest that you check out the credentials of the orthopedic surgeon and the hospital or consult us first to help you.
Latest Publications and Research on Hip replacement
- [Complication profile and revision concepts for megaprosthetic reconstruction following tumour resection at the hip]. - Published by PubMed
- How Useful Is Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Evaluating Adverse Local Tissue Reaction? - Published by PubMed
- Veterans Undergoing Total Hip and Knee Arthroplasty: 30-day Outcomes as Compared to the General Population. - Published by PubMed
- Severe metallosis-related osteolysis as a cause of failure after total knee replacement. - Published by PubMed
- Complications of total joint arthroplasty in solid organ transplant patients versus a large control group. - Published by PubMed