A dental implant is a metallic root-shaped device placed in the jaw that acts as an anchor to hold a false tooth (or a group of teeth) or a bridge in place. These surgically- placed artificial implants are a popular option to counter tooth loss and are widely used in prosthetic dentistry.
A classical implant comprises of a titanium screw which resembles the root of a tooth. The rough surface of this screw is treated to enhance the integration potential of the implant. A hole is drilled into jawbone and the implant is installed with care.
Although there are several types of implants, the osseointegrated implant is the most popular. Here, titanium is fused with the growing osteoblasts to form a supportive link between the implant and the living bone.
Dental implant surgeries are usually carried out as an outpatient procedure and may be done by qualified general dentists, cosmetic dentists or by prosthodontists.
Sometimes the treatment may involve several surgeries; in other cases, it may just require one.
Although the hospital stay is short, complete healing and integration (osseointegration) may take several months to complete.
The success of the implant surgery depends on the skill of the surgeon, quality of the jaw bone and also on the oral hygiene of the patient.
Studies have confirmed that the 5-year success rate is 90-95%. Smokers fare rather poorly.
So get rid of that toothless smile and go for those sparkling dentures! If traveling abroad check our list of affordable options or Consult us first.
Latest Publications and Research on Dental Implants
- Effects of statherin on the biological properties of titanium metals subjected to different surface modification. - Published by PubMed
- Endoscopic sinus surgery for dental implant displacement into the maxillary sinus-a retrospective clinical study. - Published by PubMed
- Nonsurgical treatment of skeletal maxillary protrusion with gummy smile using headgear for growth control, mini-implants as anchorage for maxillary incisor intrusion, and premolar extractions for incisor retraction. - Published by PubMed
- Treatment and posttreatment effects of a novel magnetic palatal expansion appliance with reactivation system in dogs. - Published by PubMed
- Marginal bone resorption of posterior mandible dental implants with different insertion methods. - Published by PubMed