"Healthy citizens are the greatest asset any country can have." - Winston Churchill
A shiny mane, bright eyes and glowing skin; what more can one ask for? If thatís exactly whatís going on in your mind, keep reading, weíve shortlisted the best of the best, tips, tricks and more.
Hair repair: Long hours of working in an air-conditioned environment can sap your hair of the necessary moisture, leaving it dry and frizzy. Revive its shine and get a glossy mane- hereís how.
- Try the mayonnaise conditioner for your hair. Just apply mayonnaise to your hair, as you would a conditioner, and wash off.
- Thinning hair? Crack open an egg and spread it all over moist hair and gently massage for a minute before rinsing. The egg protein will add more volume and shine to your hair.
- For dry and damaged hair, try avocado. Its lecithin content helps nourish hair and prevents further damage
- Dandruff trouble? Massage your scalp with fresh apple juice. The natural fruit acids help reduce dandruff visibly.
Sweat free: Summer is here, and so is the sweat. And if your deodrant and cooling talcs donít seem to work, hereís something to try.
- Use a crystal stick as a deodorant. Itís available in specialty stores and online too. It is basically a chunk of mineral salts that helps control bacterial activity.
- Stick to cottons this summer. Wear loose, comfortable and light-colored clothing to help your skin breathe.
Pearly whites: You donít need to spend exorbitant amounts to get those set of pearly whites youíve always coveted. A few simple tips will help. Read onÖ
- Combine together 1tbsp of soda bicarbonate and 1 tsp fine sea salt. Dip a moist toothbrush into this mixture and brush your teeth gently for around 30 seconds.
- Eating fresh strawberries is known to naturally bleach your teeth, giving you visibly brighter teeth.
- For a fresher breath, chew on fennel seeds.
- Plaque issues? Mix aloe vera gel with warm water and gargle.
Bright eyes: Stress and sleep deprivation show up instantly on your eyes. Hereís how to fix it.
- For puffy eyes, steep chamomile tea bags in water, and when cool, place them over your eyes.
- A mask of cooled, mashed potatoes helps soothe swollen eyelids.
Glowing skin: Whether itís a bad day at work, or a sleepless night, it all almost instantly affects your skin, making you more prone to breakouts, patchiness and dullness. Rejuvenate your skin instantly. Follow these simple steps.
- Remove the layer of dead skin cells that make your face look dull and drab by gently brushing your body with a loofah.
- Massaging the skin with almond oil gives it an extra healthy glow!
- For patchy, discolored skin, this trick works best. Soak cotton squares in fresh lemon juice, and apply to the skin, and leave on for 10-15 minutes. For dark elbows and knees, lemon juice is excellent natural bleach.
- Smoothen rough, bumpy skin by spreading sour cream over it.
- Relive itchy skin by simply adding 2-3 tbsp of soda bicarbonate to your bath water.
- Banish the age spots with the easy to make face mask. Mix together 2 egg whites, 1 tsp almond oil, 1 tbsp honey and the juice of a lemon. Whisk together and apply directly onto the skin.
The health, bliss, and everything in between- From headaches to infections, weíve sorted it all out here.
- For all those prone to cold sores, hereís a lifesaver. Avoid eating nuts, chocolates and seeds. They contain arginine, an amino acid that triggers this problem.
- For minor cuts and bruises, apply a menthol-based ointment. It speeds up healing and prevents darkening of skin after it has healed.
- Optimum vitamin C levels in the blood speed up the healing process. Keep yours high by adding more strawberries, kiwis, spinach, broccoli and citrus fruits to your diet.
- Cranberry juice works wonders in curing urinary tract infections.
- Got a painful tooth? Dab a few drops of clove oil to the affected tooth.
- Unbearable headache? Starting from the outer edge of your eyebrow, press and massage gently following over your head to the back of your ear and finally ending down to the back of your neck. Do this on both the sides.
Recharge the batteries: Though thereís no actual remedy to beat stress, thereís a lot you can do to reduce its impact on your health. Interested? Read onÖ
- Practice meditation. It has helped millions worldwide, and you are no exception. Relax your mind and body, and focus your attention to one object or thought, and hold it GENTLY for as long as possible. Donít strain yourself. Just simply and gently get back to focusing on the thought or the object.
- A foot massage always helps. In a large bowl, place some marbles and pebbles, and cover it with water as hot as you can bear. Add a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil. Place your feet in the bowl, and move it over the pebbles gently, for as long as you like.
- Angry and stressed? Try aerobic exercises. They help metabolize the stress hormones.
- Beat nausea with peppermint tea, crystallized ginger or charcoal tablets.
- Practice Qi gong, an ancient Chinese art of meditation to get re-energized instantly.
- Skin-Care Tips for Every Skin Type - (http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/skincare/ultimate-skin-care-guide-00000000010517/index.html)
Latest Publications and Research on Your Simple Guide to Looking, Feeling and Being Healthy
- Exclusive olive oil consumption was favorably associated with metabolic indices and lifestyle factors in schoolchildren. - Published by PubMed
- Efficacy of therapeutic lifestyle changes on lipid profiles assessed by NMR in children with familial and non-familial hypercholesterolemia. - Published by PubMed
- Implementing a healthy postpartum lifestyle after gestational diabetes or preeclampsia: a qualitative study of the partner's role. - Published by PubMed
- Determinants of dietary behaviour in wheelchair users with spinal cord injury or lower limb amputation: Perspectives of rehabilitation professionals and wheelchair users. - Published by PubMed
- Who does what the cardiologist recommends? Psychosocial markers of unhealthy behavior in coronary disease patients. - Published by PubMed