Tips to Prevent Colon Cancer
Considering the role played by nutrition in colon cancer, some tips to prevent colon cancer include:
- Cutting down overall fat intake: A high intake of fat leads to an increased production of bile and bile salts, which are carcinogenic in nature.
- Eating whole grains and pulses: They provide fibre, folate and phytic acid.
- Choosing healthy fats (Omega-3) over unhealthy fats (trans-fats, saturated fats): Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and risk of colon cancer, because inflammation has been linked to cancer cell formation and proliferation.
- Eating plenty of vegetables and fruits: An excellent source of nutrients including fibre, vitamin C, folate, carotenoids, and phytonutrients.
- Restricting alcohol intake: Alcohol consumption, especially beer, decreases the levels of folate.