Sattvic diet is an ancient practice followed in Ayurveda. It is based on foods enriched with ‘sattva’ quality and which lay emphasis on keeping our mind, body and soul healthy. Sattvic diet is the original yogic diet that includes not only vegetarian foods but those with higher nutritive values in terms of their effects on mind making it pure and calm.
Fresh organic fruits and ripe vegetables, dairy products, nuts, dry fruits, seeds, whole grains, oils and non meat based foods that are grown without pesticides, fertilizers, hormones, and other chemical additives, instead grown in pure natural soils and environment. This natural way of growing adds life force to the foods making them more beneficial to body and mind.
Sattvic foods are not short of options:
If you are on a sattvic diet, it does not mean that there are fewer options to savor your mouth. The diet includes the following mouth watering foods:
- Fresh fruits and fruit juices
- Juicy vegetables
- Dairy products:
- Whole grains
- Nuts and dry fruits
- Lightly cooked and steamed food with mild spices
- Alkaline foods
Sattvic diet is said to be the best diet for physical, mental and spiritual health increasing longevity and enable maximum functional potential of the body. It is light and easy to digest and is good for maintaining overall digestion of the body. It fulfills all the nutritional requirements of proteins, carbohydrates and fats of the body. Apart from its high nutritive value it benefits the body in many ways, some of them are:
Health Benefits of a Sattvic Diet
- Maintains a Healthy Digestive System: Sattvic diet consists of whole foods with their natural food value intact which makes them lighter and easier to digest. Sattvic foods can be cooked but with minimal spices and flavors and so they are smooth on the gut and help in proper digestion. Green leafy vegetables, fruits, nuts, whole grains etc. which essentially form sattvic diet are all good for maintaining proper digestion, curbing constipation and reducing other bowel related problems.
- Helps in Weight Loss: People seeking a way out to weight loss then following sattvic diet may just be the right thing. As being sattvic eliminates all the high-in-fat and carbohydrate components from your diet, it inturn prompts you to eat more nutritive meals. This could help greatly in reducing weight and maintaining a healthy and sound body.
- Reduces Risk of Cardiac Diseases: Cardiac diseases are mostly caused due to high cholesterol levels in the body that result in atherosclerosis, heart attacks or strokes. Sattvic foods contain low fats and oil that do not allow bad cholesterol to get deposited in the arteries. Only freshly cooked meals are considered sattvic and so it banishes the rancid food items to be eaten. Also fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidant and vitamin content that keep heart healthy.
- Treats Diabetes: Sattvic foods are low in sugar and carb content and high in vitamins and minerals that help in lowering blood sugar and control insulin levels. Legumes, fruits and whole grains are all rich in proteins and mineral contents that help in metabolizing sugars and reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Strengthens Liver and Kidneys: Sattvic diet incorporates all the essential elements required for proper body functioning. Being light and easily digestible it strengthens liver and kidney functions. Proteins present in seeds, natural oils and legumes along with vitamins in fruits and vegetables enhance enzyme activities in liver and pancreas. Also high mineral content regulates the absorption of vital nutrients in kidney nephrons thus they function better.
- Eliminates Fatigue: Sattvic foods are a rich source of energy. Although low in carbohydrates; they have ample calorie content to revitalize and energize the body. These foods eliminate fatigue and tiredness, providing peaceful and sound mind.
- Improves Skin and Hair: Seeds, oils, fruits, vegetables and nuts are all good for healthy and beautiful skin. The wholesome diet replenishes all the lost nutrients and thus improves skin texture and promotes hair growth. ‘The more natural you eat the more beautiful you be’; hence sattvic diet with all its natural ingredients intact and no amount of chemical adulteration make it best suited for healthy skin and hairs.
- Gives peace and tranquility: Most sages and yogis advice to follow sattvic diet as it calms the mind providing tranquility and satisfaction. The sattva in sattvic foods are meant to provide life force with spiritual satisfaction. As these foods are pure in nature in its most fresh state they are said to make you more positive and full of life; reducing depression, anxiety and stress.