Pomegranate juice has been rated as having a better antioxidant (substances which protect the cells against the harmful free radicals in the body) level compared to green tea or red wine with an ORAC (antioxidant capacity) of 2,860 units per 100g. It is also rich in nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid), potassium, polyphenols and fiber.
About 23 clinical trials related to the medicinal efficacy of pomegranate in various diseases have been registered with the National Institute of Health in the year 2010 itself. It is also anti-bacterial and antiviral in nature.
This sensational superstar among fruits is beneficial in deadly and not so deadly diseases including:
- prostrate and breast cancers
- coronary artery diseases
- infant brain injuries
- rhinovirus infections
- common cold
- cholesterol problems
- oxidative stress
- hemodialysis of the kidney
- anemia and
- skin problems
The powerful anti-inflammatory and moisturizing properties of pomegranate have been used by the beauty and cosmetic industry in the form of the pomegranate oil from the pomegranate seeds. This oil has miraculous healing properties.
- It treats inflammatory acne, skin eruptions, eczema (chronic scaly and itchy rashes), and psoriasis (a chronic immune-mediated disorder characterized by chronic thick, scaly and red skin) besides being a potent astringent.
- The anti-pigmentation effect of this oil is appropriate for the removal of blemishes and scars besides being non-comedogenic (cosmetics that do not block the pores of the skin).
- Pomegranate oil has profitably been made effective in cosmetology as anti-wrinkle creams, soaps, pomades, shampoos, moisturizers and lip balms for treating chapped lips. This is because of the presence of antioxidants in pomegranates, which encourage cell regeneration; increase skin elasticity; and protect the outer epidermal layer of the skin.
- Pomegranates also prevent the breakdown of collagen and elastin fibers of the skin, which are imperative in maintaining a younger looking skin.
- Pomegranate extracts are utilized in dentistry as a dentifrice for its antibacterial properties against dental plaque beside cleaning the teeth and strengthening the gums.
- Pomegranate oil is an effective hair conditioner for treating damaged, graying, thinning, tangled and unmanageable hair making it soft, controllable and moisturized. Pomegranate effectively reverses the signs of aging.
- A study conducted at the University of Michigan Medical School which was published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology reported that pomegranate seed oil encourages keratinocyte proliferation which helps regenerate the skin epidermis. Therefore, it efficiently treats damaged fingernails and cuticles of the hands and feet and is utilized in manicure and pedicures as a soak or as a rub.
- Pomegranate seeds mixed with the bark of the mango tree and the fragrant shell powder have been long utilized in ancient India to remove bad body odors associated with skin problems.
|Calcium, Ca||10 mg||1 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.16 mg||7.9 %|
|Iron, Fe||0.3 mg||1.67 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||12 mg||3 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.12 mg||5.95 %|
|Phosphorus, P||36 mg||3.6 %|
|Potassium, K||236 mg||6.74 %|
|Selenium, Se||0.5 mcg||0.71 %|
|Sodium, Na||3 mg||0.12 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.35 mg||2.33 %|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0 %|
|Vitamin C||10.2 mg||17 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.08 mg||3.75 %|
|Vitamin E||0.6 mg||2 %|
|Vitamin K||16.4 mcg||20.5 %|
|Riboflavin||0.05 mg||3.12 %|
|Thiamin||0.07 mg||4.47 %|
|Folate, DFE||38 mcg||9.5 %|
|Niacin||0.29 mg||1.46 %|
|Fiber||4 g||16 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Carotene, alpha||0 mcg|
|Carotene, beta||0 mcg|
|View all +|
Latest Publications and Research on Superfood Pomegranate for Beauty and WellnessCombining pressurized liquids with ultrasound to improve the extraction of phenolic compounds from pomegranate peel (Punica granatum L.). - Published by PubMed
Phytochemical study, potential cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of selected food byproducts (Pomegranate peel, Rice bran, Rice straw & Mulberry bark). - Published by PubMed
Pomegranate prevents binge alcohol-induced gut leakiness and hepatic inflammation by suppressing oxidative and nitrative stress. - Published by PubMed
Optimization of gluten-free cake formulation enriched with pomegranate seed powder and transglutaminase enzyme. - Published by PubMed
Detection of theophylline using molecularly imprinted mesoporous silica spheres. - Published by PubMed