Despite being single-celled, spirulina is bigger than most other forms of algae and is large enough to be visible to the naked eye. The algae can grow up to 0.5mm and tends to exist in colonies. This allows it to be easily gathered in large masses.
Some species of spirulina survive even under intense heat. When the fresh water pond in which they exist dries up due to a surge in temperature, spirulina sticks to the rocks in the pond and forms a frosty white layer. This frosted form of the alga tastes very sweet as the protein, predominantly present in them, turns to polysaccharides.
It is generally speculated that the “manna from heaven” that is referred to in the Bible may actually have been dried spirulina that the wandering Israelites gathered from rocks. It is supposed to have tasted like “wafers made with honey”.
The unique ability of the algae to sustain heat has helped it to retain its nutrients even after rigorous processing.
- Evaluation of chemoprevention of oral cancer with Spirulina fusiformis - (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8584455?dopt=Abstract)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2023, March 15). Spirulina -The Wonder Food. Medindia. Retrieved on Mar 31, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/spirulina-the-wonder-food.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Spirulina -The Wonder Food". Medindia. Mar 31, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/spirulina-the-wonder-food.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "Spirulina -The Wonder Food". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/spirulina-the-wonder-food.htm. (accessed Mar 31, 2023).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. Spirulina -The Wonder Food. Medindia, viewed Mar 31, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/spirulina-the-wonder-food.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Spirulina
- Optimization of production and intrinsic viscosity of an exopolysaccharide from a high yielding Virgibacillus salarius BM02: Study of its potential antioxidant, emulsifying properties and application in the mixotrophic cultivation of Spirulina platensis. - Published by PubMed
- Amino Acid Digestibility of Extruded Chickpea and Yellow Pea Protein is High and Comparable in Moderately Stunted South Indian Children with Use of a Dual Stable Isotope Tracer Method. - Published by PubMed
- Protective effects of spirulina against hemato-biochemical alterations, nephrotoxicity, and DNA damage upon lead exposition. - Published by PubMed
- Extraction of phycocyanin-A natural blue colorant from dried spirulina biomass: Influence of processing parameters and extraction techniques. - Published by PubMed
- Large-Scale Cultivation of Spirulina for Biological CO2 Mitigation in Open Raceway Ponds Using Purified CO2 From a Coal Chemical Flue Gas. - Published by PubMed
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
9 years experience
2 years experience
3 years experience