Health benefits of Olive oil
Health benefits of Olive oil can be attributed to the presence of nutrients such as omega-3, oleocanthal, phenolic compounds, selenium and vitamins. Olive oil is an integral component of the Mediterranean diet which is considered to be one of the healthiest diets.
It is known to provide protection against cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and even cancer. Olive oil has proved useful in skin and hair care, and if used in food instead of saturated fats, it may aid in weight loss as well.
The mono-unsaturated healthy fats such as omega-3 give olive oil its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation, as we know, is linked to number of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, asthma and cancer.
Olive oil is also very high in anti-oxidant content. Anti-oxidants help prevent cell damage through free radical scavenging and also help repair cell damage. Increased anti-oxidants in the body slow down the process of aging and may even increase longevity.
Scientists have recently discovered that a good quality extra-virgin olive oil contains a natural organic compound called oleocanthal which is responsible for the peppery sting of the oil and which has anti-inflammatory as well as anti-oxidant properties. This compound has shown to inhibit the activity of enzymes involved in inflammation much the same way as the NSAIDs.
The following quote by the American journalist Mark Kurlansky describes it all:
"At times it seems that the search for good health has taken all the pleasure out of life. It has stripped us off butter, cream, marbled red meat, pork, and goose fat, not to mention alcohol and fine, hand-rolled cigars. And just when you settle on your favorite healthful fish, you're told it's laced with mercury. Sometimes it feels as though we would be better off being less healthy and enjoying life. But then, miraculously, there is olive oil. Olive oil, it often seems, is the only really good food we are still allowed." - Mark Kurlansky in "Essential oil" (bon appétit online magazine).
Oil, olive, salad or cooking
|Calcium, Ca||1 mg||0.1 %|
|Copper, Cu||0 mg||0 %|
|Iron, Fe||0.56 mg||3.11 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||0 mg||0 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0 mg||0 %|
|Phosphorus, P||0 mg||0 %|
|Potassium, K||1 mg||0.03 %|
|Selenium, Se||0 mcg||0 %|
|Sodium, Na||2 mg||0.08 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin E||14.35 mg||47.83 %|
|Vitamin K||60.2 mcg||75.25 %|
|Riboflavin||0 mg||0 %|
|Thiamin||0 mg||0 %|
|Folate, DFE||0 mcg||0 %|
|Niacin||0 mg||0 %|
|Fiber||0 g||0 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Carotene, alpha||0 mcg|
|Carotene, beta||0 mcg|
|View all +|
- Synthesis and Assignment of Absolute Configuration of Oleocanthal - (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol052106a)
- Giacomo D et al. Influence of the olive variety and the zone of provenience on selenium content determined by cathodic stripping potentiometry (CSP) in virgin Olive oils. Food Chemistry Volume 88, Issue 1, November 2004, Pages 135-140
- Kim HS, Noh SU, Han YW, Kim KM, Kang H, Kim HO, Park YM. Therapeutic effects of topical application of ozone on acute cutaneous wound healing. J Korean Med Sci. 2009 Jun;24(3):368-74. Epub 2009 Jun 12.
- Owen RW, Giacosa A, Hull WE, Haubner R, Würtele G, Spiegelhalder B, Bartsch H. Olive-oil consumption and health: the possible role of antioxidants. Lancet Oncol. 2000 Oct;1:107-12.
- EUORLIVE study - (http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/727945/effect-polyphenols-olive-oil-heart-disease-risk-factors-randomized-trial?volume=145&issue=5&page=333)
- Owen RW, Haubner R, Würtele G, Hull E, Spiegelhalder B, Bartsch H. Olives and Olive oil in cancer prevention. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2004 Aug;13(4):319-26.
- Stoneham M, Goldacre M, Seagroatt V, Gill L. Olive oil, diet and colorectal cancer: an ecological study and a hypothesis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2000 Oct;54(10):756-60.
- Martin-Moreno JM, et al. Dietary fat, Olive oil intake and breast cancer risk. Int J Cancer. 1994 Sep 15;58(6):774-80.
- Romero C, Medina E, Vargas J, Brenes M, De Castro A. In vitro activity of Olive oil polyphenols against Helicobacter pylori. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Feb 7;55(3):680-6.
- Piers LS, Walker KZ, Stoney RM, Soares MJ, O''Dea K. Substitution of saturated with monounsaturated fat in a 4-week diet affects body weight and composition of overweight and obese men. Br J Nutr. 2003 Sep;90(3):717-27.
- Soriguer F, et al. Incidence of obesity is lower in persons who consume Olive oil. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Nov;63(11):1371-4. Epub 2009 Jul 22.
- Lozano A, et al. Body mass interacts with fat quality to determine the postprandial lipoprotein response in healthy young adults. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010 Nov 17.
- Puel C, Mardon J, Agalias A, Davicco MJ, Lebecque P, Mazur A, Horcajada MN, Skaltsounis AL, Coxam V. Major phenolic compounds in Olive oil modulate bone loss in an ovariectomy/inflammation experimental model. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Oct 22;56(20):9417-22. Epub 2008 Sep 19.
- Santiago-Mora R, Casado-Díaz A, De Castro MD, Quesada-Gómez JM. Oleuropein enhances osteoblastogenesis and inhibits adipogenesis: the effect on differentiation in stem cells derived from bone marrow. Osteoporos Int. 2010 May 21.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Mita Majumdar. (2018, July 09). Olive Oil and Its Benefits - Heart-Weight Loss-Osteoporosis-Skin-Tips to Use. Medindia. Retrieved on Sep 23, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits.htm.
Mita Majumdar. "Olive Oil and Its Benefits - Heart-Weight Loss-Osteoporosis-Skin-Tips to Use". Medindia. Sep 23, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits.htm>.
Mita Majumdar. "Olive Oil and Its Benefits - Heart-Weight Loss-Osteoporosis-Skin-Tips to Use". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits.htm. (accessed Sep 23, 2023).
Mita Majumdar. 2018. Olive Oil and Its Benefits - Heart-Weight Loss-Osteoporosis-Skin-Tips to Use. Medindia, viewed Sep 23, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Olive Oil and Its Benefits
- Domestic Sautéing with EVOO: Change in the Phenolic Profile. - Published by PubMed
- Exclusive olive oil consumption was favorably associated with metabolic indices and lifestyle factors in schoolchildren. - Published by PubMed
- Maternal diets enriched in olive oil regulate lipid metabolism and levels of PPARs and their coactivators in the fetal liver in a rat model of gestational diabetes mellitus. - Published by PubMed
- Functional approach and agro-climatic information to improve the estimation of olive oil fatty acid content from near-infrared data. - Published by PubMed
- Therapeutic alternative of the ketogenic Mediterranean diet to improve mitochondrial activity in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): A Comprehensive Review. - Published by PubMed
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
5 years experience
Nutrify your Gut, Thakur Village, Mumbai
1 year experience
12 years experience
2 years experience