Olive Oil for Skin and Hair Care
Cold pressed extra-virgin Olive oil is high in phenolic compounds with anti-oxidant properties. They help by preventing free radical damage to the body. So, all the health benefits of anti-oxidants are applicable to Olive oil. Olive oil can be used both topically as well as internally for dry skin and hair.
Vitamin A is one of the anti-oxidants in Olive oil that helps produce sebum in the skin and scalp. Sebum helps protect the skin from bacterial infection by forming a barrier. Sebum makes hair softer and more pliable. However, excess production of sebum can cause acne and other skin eruptions. Excess sebum also leads to hair loss. Again, insufficient production of sebum results in dry hair.
Vitamin C is another anti-oxidant present in Olive oil that helps maintain healthy skin and hair. It destroys free radicals inside and outside cells. This anti-oxidant helps in the formation of connective tissue thus aiding in healing of wounds. This has been confirmed by a Korean research where the researchers observed that topical application of ozonated Olive oil increased the production of collagen fibers and fibroblasts and accelerated wound healing of full-thickness skin wounds. It also helps prevent bruising. Vitamin C improves the absorption of iron and other nutrients that are critical to healthy hair growth. It also improves scalp circulation by maintaining capillaries that carry blood to follicles. Vitamin C deficiency can cause split ends and hair breakage.
The phenolic compounds present in Olive oil act as free radical scavengers thus improving blood circulation to the skin and hair follicles. They are responsible for giving a glow to the skin and a ‘bouncy healthy’ look to the hair. Phenol is also used in the preparation of sunscreens, hair dyes and skin lightening cosmetic products.
Selenium is another anti-oxidant in Olive oil that helps maintain healthy hair and nails. A study published in the journal Food Chemistry found that selenium content in Sicilian virgin Olive oils ranged from 3.0 to 122.9 µg per kg. It works with vitamin E to protect cells from damage.
- Synthesis and Assignment of Absolute Configuration of Oleocanthal - (http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol052106a)
- Giacomo D et al. Influence of the olive variety and the zone of provenience on selenium content determined by cathodic stripping potentiometry (CSP) in virgin Olive oils. Food Chemistry Volume 88, Issue 1, November 2004, Pages 135-140
- Kim HS, Noh SU, Han YW, Kim KM, Kang H, Kim HO, Park YM. Therapeutic effects of topical application of ozone on acute cutaneous wound healing. J Korean Med Sci. 2009 Jun;24(3):368-74. Epub 2009 Jun 12.
- Owen RW, Giacosa A, Hull WE, Haubner R, Würtele G, Spiegelhalder B, Bartsch H. Olive-oil consumption and health: the possible role of antioxidants. Lancet Oncol. 2000 Oct;1:107-12.
- EUORLIVE study - (http://annals.org/aim/article-abstract/727945/effect-polyphenols-olive-oil-heart-disease-risk-factors-randomized-trial?volume=145&issue=5&page=333)
- Owen RW, Haubner R, Würtele G, Hull E, Spiegelhalder B, Bartsch H. Olives and Olive oil in cancer prevention. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2004 Aug;13(4):319-26.
- Stoneham M, Goldacre M, Seagroatt V, Gill L. Olive oil, diet and colorectal cancer: an ecological study and a hypothesis. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2000 Oct;54(10):756-60.
- Martin-Moreno JM, et al. Dietary fat, Olive oil intake and breast cancer risk. Int J Cancer. 1994 Sep 15;58(6):774-80.
- Romero C, Medina E, Vargas J, Brenes M, De Castro A. In vitro activity of Olive oil polyphenols against Helicobacter pylori. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Feb 7;55(3):680-6.
- Piers LS, Walker KZ, Stoney RM, Soares MJ, O''Dea K. Substitution of saturated with monounsaturated fat in a 4-week diet affects body weight and composition of overweight and obese men. Br J Nutr. 2003 Sep;90(3):717-27.
- Soriguer F, et al. Incidence of obesity is lower in persons who consume Olive oil. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Nov;63(11):1371-4. Epub 2009 Jul 22.
- Lozano A, et al. Body mass interacts with fat quality to determine the postprandial lipoprotein response in healthy young adults. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2010 Nov 17.
- Puel C, Mardon J, Agalias A, Davicco MJ, Lebecque P, Mazur A, Horcajada MN, Skaltsounis AL, Coxam V. Major phenolic compounds in Olive oil modulate bone loss in an ovariectomy/inflammation experimental model. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Oct 22;56(20):9417-22. Epub 2008 Sep 19.
- Santiago-Mora R, Casado-Díaz A, De Castro MD, Quesada-Gómez JM. Oleuropein enhances osteoblastogenesis and inhibits adipogenesis: the effect on differentiation in stem cells derived from bone marrow. Osteoporos Int. 2010 May 21.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Mita Majumdar. (2018, July 09). Olive Oil for Skin and Hair Care. Medindia. Retrieved on Jan 27, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits-skin-and-hair-care.htm.
Mita Majumdar. "Olive Oil for Skin and Hair Care". Medindia. Jan 27, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits-skin-and-hair-care.htm>.
Mita Majumdar. "Olive Oil for Skin and Hair Care". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits-skin-and-hair-care.htm. (accessed Jan 27, 2023).
Mita Majumdar. 2021. Olive Oil for Skin and Hair Care. Medindia, viewed Jan 27, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/olive-oil-benefits-skin-and-hair-care.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
10 years experience
30 years experience
Pro Health Diet Clinic, Sector 37-C, Chandigarh
12 years experience
Health and Nutrify clinic, Serlingampally, Hyderabad
7 years experience