A healthy diet is necessary for well being and prevention of lifestyle-related diseases, irrespective of whether you are a man or a woman. But nutrition varies a little depending on your gender and age.
Here’s an account of nutrition all men need. The calorie requirement depends on your age, lifestyle and size (weight). For example, an active man of 70 kg requires about 2700 to 3000 calories per day depending upon the intensity of his physical activity. On an average, a healthy man needs about 2500 calories to maintain his weight. Men older than 50 years of age need 2000 to 2800 calories depending on how active they are. Factors such as thyroid hormones, some medications like steroids, or illnesses can affect the calorie expenditure.
In general, 10 to 35 percent of your daily calories must come from protein. Recommended Dietary Allowance for protein is 52g per day for boys aged 14 to 18 years while men aged 19 and above require 56g of protein per day.
For example, a 5ft 10 inches tall man physically active 30 to 60 minutes a day requires 7 ounces of protein foods in his 2800 calorie diet. Lean meat, poultry, fish, milk and milk products, eggs, and cheese are considered high-quality proteins. Legumes, nuts and seeds, and tofu are good vegetable protein sources.
There’s no harm if you take more than the recommended portion of protein unless you have kidney disease or are counting calories on a weight-loss mission.
Foods high in fiber content include dried, fresh or frozen beans, peas and other legumes; whole grains, rye, oats, buckwheat and stone-ground cornmeal; nuts; dried fruits; broccoli; baked potato with skin; spinach, kale and other greens; Brussel sprouts, plums, pears and apples (high in pectin). Almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts and peanuts, and coconut are also high in fiber content but they are high in fat content as well; so, consume these sparingly.
For well being and weight control, only 20 to 35 percent of your diet must come from fats and that too from unsaturated fats (MUFA and PUFA) such as extra virgin olive oil, canola oil, sesame oil, almonds, walnut and avocado.
Vitamins and Minerals
Fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals; and whether fresh, frozen, canned or dried, they are ‘good-for-you foods’ according to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly called the American Dietetic Association).
Older men require more vitamin D and calcium to maintain healthy bones and avoid osteoporosis. Low-fat and fat-free milk and yogurt, fortified cereals and fruit juices, dark green leafy vegetables and canned fish with soft bones are rich in calcium. If you are not getting enough of these products, take calcium supplements and multivitamins containing vitamin D.
If you are a sportsman or work out a lot, make sure you eat every two to three hours so that your body gets a constant supply of nutrients. Also, carbohydrates are the main source of energy and must be included in every meal.
Eating a well-balanced diet that includes whole grains, fruits and vegetables, good proteins, and low-fat dairy products is the best way to stay healthy and free from lifestyle-related diseases.
- Public Health Nutrition - (http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPHN%2FPHN7_01%2FS1368980004000126a.pdf&code=ae6ee919fc2ed5b7b810d4d41529542f)
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel - (http://www.wehealny.org/healthinfo/dietaryfiber/index.html)
- A prospective study of nutritional factors and hypertension among US men - (http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/86/5/1475.long)
- Cancer research for prevention and survival - (http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/Search?query=prostate+cancer+and+diet&ie=UTF-8&sa=&inc=10)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Mita Majumdar. (2016, October 07). Nutrition All Men Need. Medindia. Retrieved on Oct 01, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/nutrition-all-men-need.htm.
Mita Majumdar. "Nutrition All Men Need". Medindia. Oct 01, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/nutrition-all-men-need.htm>.
Mita Majumdar. "Nutrition All Men Need". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/nutrition-all-men-need.htm. (accessed Oct 01, 2023).
Mita Majumdar. 2016. Nutrition All Men Need. Medindia, viewed Oct 01, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/nutrition-all-men-need.htm.
Latest Publications and Research on Nutrition All Men Need
- Importance of diet in reducing cancer incidence in Poland: a review - Published by PubMed
- Associations of Fish Oil Supplement Use With Testicular Function in Young Men. - Published by PubMed
- Evaluation of sex differences in dietary behaviours and their relationship with cardiovascular risk factors: a cross-sectional study of nationally representative surveys in seven low- and middle-income countries. - Published by PubMed
- Meal patterns in relation to energy and protein intake in older adults in home health care. - Published by PubMed
- A Single Bout of One-legged Exercise to Local Exhaustion Decreases Insulin Action in Non-exercised Muscle Leading to Decreased Whole-body Insulin Action. - Published by PubMed
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
13 years experience
3 years experience
3 years experience
1 year experience
Vecura Wellness Clinic, Pn podur , pudukinar street , Tamil nadu 641014, Coimbatore