We need enormous varieties of food items to sustain us and help maintain good health and quality of life. Requirements in terms of amounts may vary, but everything has its own importance.
Fats, oilseeds and nuts play an important role in our diets. Mustard oil is a type of fat, which is extracted from mustard seeds through pressing of seeds and is filtered using the distillation process. Mustard oil has got a typical pungent and sharp flavor that is because of the presence of a compound called Allyl Isothiocyanate. This oil has about 60 percent monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), 21 percent polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) and about 12 percent saturated fats. A higher amount of MUFA and PUFA distinguishes it from other types of fats. These fatty acids are also called 'good fats' as they do not get deposited on arterial walls. Mustard oil contains glucosinolate, which basically works against microbes and adds on to the oilís health benefits.
Some of the featured benefits are as follows-
- Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease: A recent comparative study done on varieties of edible oils revealed that mustard oil reduced the risk of cardiovascular diseases by 70 percent, so mustard oil cuts down the risk of heart diseases if used in moderation by lowering cholesterol levels within the body.
- Stimulates Digestion: This oil is known as a stimulant and helps the intestine to produce digestive juices, which increase the peristaltic movement of the food, and hence the digestion process. Also, the same process helps in increasing appetite by increasing the production of gastric juices in our system.
- Reduces Risk of Cancer: Some studies have shown that mustard oil has a particular type of phytonutrient that fights against colorectal and gastrointestinal cancers.
- Antibacterial, Antifungal and Anti-inflammatory Action: Mustard oil has got an antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory action as well. The antibacterial and antifungal properties work well against rashes and skin infections. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in easing the condition of irritable bowel syndrome by reducing the inflammation in the lining of the stomach.
- Relieves Cold and Cough: Also, mustard oil has proved useful in relieving cold and cough when applied onto chest or inhaled for its strong aroma. It helps in removing phlegm from the respiratory tract.
- Used for Massaging: It gives a good protection against harsh UV rays. That is why mustard oil is used as a famous massaging agent for infants as well as grownups. For infants, it improves weight, length, mid arm and midleg circumferences. It gives rejuvenation and luster to skin. Mustard oil is a very strong stimulant and mustard oil massage helps stimulate blood circulation to the skin. The oil is warming to the skin and will cause the massaged area to flush pink because of the increased blood flow.
- Good for Skin and Hair: This beneficial oil has got high levels of vitamin E, which helps the skin from aging and against wrinkles. Also, it has been reported that it acts as a sun shield if applied on the skin. Mustard oil is commonly used for massaging the hair scalp as well. Many studies have shown that mustard oil works as a 'hair vitalizer' and prevents hair loss and early graying of hairs.
- Relieves Joint Pain: It has an added advantage of relieving pain especially in case of arthritis; it helps in easing joint pain and proves to be an elixir of life to people in this condition.
|Calcium, Ca||0 mg||0 %|
|Copper, Cu||0 mg||0 %|
|Iron, Fe||0 mg||0 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||0 mg||0 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0 mg||0 %|
|Phosphorus, P||0 mg||0 %|
|Potassium, K||0 mg||0 %|
|Selenium, Se||0 mcg||0 %|
|Sodium, Na||0 mg||0 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 mg||0 %|
|Vitamin B6||0 mg||0 %|
|Riboflavin||0 mg||0 %|
|Thiamin||0 mg||0 %|
|Folate, DFE||0 mcg||0 %|
|Niacin||0 mg||0 %|
|Fiber||0 g||0 %|
|View all +|
Latest Publications and Research on Health Benefits of Mustard Oil
- Desensitization of transient receptor potential vanilloid type-1 (TRPV1) channel as promising therapy of irritable bowel syndrome: characterization of the action of palvanil in the mouse gastrointestinal tract. - Published by PubMed
- Controllable fabrication of biodegradable Janus and multi-layered particles with hierarchically porous structure. - Published by PubMed
- Efficient and prolonged antibacterial activity from porous PLGA microparticles and their application in food preservation. - Published by PubMed
- Abnormal Pain Sensation in Mice Lacking the Prokineticin Receptor PKR2: Interaction of PKR2 with Transient Receptor Potential TRPV1 and TRPA1. - Published by PubMed
- Impact of sunflower seed oil versus mustard seed oil on skin barrier function in newborns: a community-based, cluster-randomized trial. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Vandita Jain. (2019, February 25). Health Benefits of Mustard Oil | Mustard Oil for Healthy Heart. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 30, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-mustard-oil.htm.
Vandita Jain. "Health Benefits of Mustard Oil | Mustard Oil for Healthy Heart". Medindia. Jun 30, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-mustard-oil.htm>.
Vandita Jain. "Health Benefits of Mustard Oil | Mustard Oil for Healthy Heart". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-mustard-oil.htm. (accessed Jun 30, 2022).
Vandita Jain. 2021. Health Benefits of Mustard Oil | Mustard Oil for Healthy Heart. Medindia, viewed Jun 30, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/health-benefits-of-mustard-oil.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
5 years experience
kadhri Aarogya, Coimbatore
30 years experience
Pro Health Diet Clinic, Sector 37-C, Chandigarh
2 years experience
7 years experience