Health Benefits of Lychee
- Used in Cancer Treatment: Clinical studies have proven that lychee fruit can prevent the growth of cancer cells. It has chemicals called flavonoids and beta-carotenes, which have been proven to be effective to prevent breast cancer due to their antioxidant properties.
- Great Source of Vitamin C: Lychee fruit is one of the largest sources of vitamin C, which is essential for the body and helps in fighting against heart diseases and cancer. Vitamin C obtained from lychee is good for bones, skin and tissue and maintains the overall good health. It offers cure from cold, fever and sore throat. Lychee is also healthy food for children and allows for proper digestion of food.
- Helps in Weight Loss: Lychee fruits are low in calories, do not contain any saturated fats or cholesterol, and are rich in dietary fiber that helps in losing extra weight. It should be an integral part of a good diet plan intended for weight loss.
- Reduces Risk of Heart Diseases: Lychee fruit controls heartbeat and blood pressure. It offers protection against many heart ailments such as stroke, hypertension, and coronary heart diseases. Lychee helps in improving and enhancing the blood flow. It facilitates regular cardiovascular functions.
- Good for Bones, Teeth and Joints: Lychee fruit is a good source of calcium, phosphorus and magnesium, which are beneficial in the optimal growth of bones, teeth and joints. It helps strengthen bones and prevents bones from becoming brittle due to the presence of trace minerals such as copper and manganese. Fresh lychee also contains copper and zinc, which boosts the efficacy of vitamin D thus helping in the maintenance of the health of bones and joints.
- Good Stress Buster: Lychee fruit has a good supply of B group vitamins. Vitamin B6 is found in abundance in lychee fruit, which is one of the anti-stress nutritional vitamins. Lychee fruit is hence a good stress buster.
- Prevents Anemia: Lychee fruit has an abundant supply of copper, which helps in the formation of red blood cells and prevents anemia.
- Good Supply of Vitamin B: Lychee fruit is a good source of B-complex vitamins like thiamine, niacin and folates. B complex vitamins act as cofactors to facilitate the metabolization of the carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
- Fights Premature Aging: Lychee fruit helps in fighting premature aging and also reduces the process of aging by alleviating the effects of UV radiations, smoke, oxidative stress, and pollution. It offers protection against the premature age-related changes in the body.
- Healthy Food for Children: Lychee is good for pregnant women and children as it is rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals — all essential for maintaining the health of bone, cartilages, and tendons, and also skin and hair.
Lychee RecipesLychee and Lime Syrup
- 150 g/51/2 oz. castor sugar
- 50 ml/2fl oz. water
- 150 g/51/2 oz. fresh lychee fruits, peeled
- ½ lime, juice and zest only
Sugar and water are mixed in a saucepan over medium heat and removed from heat once the sugar has completely dissolved. Mix lychees, lime juice and lime zest in a bowl together. Add the sugar syrup to this mixture, mix well and serve.
Health Tips and Lychee FactsTips to Buy Lychee Fruit
In Europe, fresh lychee is available from November to January while in India it is available during the summer months. Healthy dried fruits are available throughout the year, sold canned, preserved in sugar syrup.
What are the benefits of eating healthy lychee fruits?
Lychee fruit has a trademarked ingredient oligonol, which is the world’s first low molecular weight polyphenol and is well known for reducing deep-seated fat, increase peripheral blood flow and stamina. It also decreases the level of exhaustion after exercise, and alleviates facial wrinkles and brown spots.
Nutrition Facts for Lychee (Litchi)
|Calcium, Ca||5 mg||0.5 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.15 mg||7.4 %|
|Iron, Fe||0.31 mg||1.72 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||10 mg||2.5 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.06 mg||2.75 %|
|Phosphorus, P||31 mg||3.1 %|
|Potassium, K||171 mg||4.89 %|
|Selenium, Se||0.6 mcg||0.86 %|
|Sodium, Na||1 mg||0.04 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.07 mg||0.47 %|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0 %|
|Vitamin C||71.5 mg||119.17 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.1 mg||5 %|
|Vitamin E||0.07 mg||0.23 %|
|Vitamin K||0.4 mcg||0.5 %|
|Riboflavin||0.06 mg||3.82 %|
|Thiamin||0.01 mg||0.73 %|
|Folate, DFE||14 mcg||3.5 %|
|Niacin||0.6 mg||3.02 %|
|Fiber||1.3 g||5.2 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Carotene, alpha||0 mcg|
|Carotene, beta||0 mcg|
|View all +|
Latest Publications and Research on Health Benefits of LycheeCyclopropane fatty acid biosynthesis in plants: phylogenetic and biochemical analysis of Litchi Kennedy pathway and acyl editing cycle genes. - Published by PubMed
Aberrant seed development in Litchi chinensis is associated with the impaired expression of cell wall invertase genes. - Published by PubMed
Quantification of hypoglycin A and methylenecyclopropylglycine in human plasma by HPLC-MS/MS. - Published by PubMed
Preharvest ZnSO4 spray improves the storability of longan (Dimocarpus longan Lour.) fruits by protecting the cell wall components and antioxidants of pericarp. - Published by PubMed
Polyphenols Derived from Lychee Seed Suppress Aß (1-42)-Induced Neuroinflammation. - Published by PubMed