Cycling is a physical activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, from young children to older adults. It is one of the best ways to reduce risk of health problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle. Regular cycling can help you lose weight, reduce stress and improve your overall fitness, it also gives your heart, lungs, blood vessels, and nerves a good workout. Cycling is a fun and time-efficient activity when you combine regular exercise with your daily routine. Compared to other modes of transport, cycling does not pollute the atmosphere which is certainly good for the environment.
The following are the major health benefits associated with cycling for women.
Energy Booster: Cycling aids in gaining energy and makes you fit and active for the upcoming task. Cycling triggers the brain to produce the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is linked to energy. It helps boost your metabolic rate long after you have finished your ride.
Saves your Joints: Bike riding can reduce stress on ankles, knees and spine more than walking or running. While riding a bike, the knees should be bent just slightly on the down pedal stroke to avoid any joint injury.
Increases Muscle Tone: Cycling strengthens leg muscles gradually, and is good for the mobility of hip and knee joints. Regular bike riding will help improve the muscle tone of your legs, thighs, rear and hips.
Protects the Heart: A study involving women prone to heart diseases and suffering from lifelong ailments were observed riding a bike for about half an hour, three times a week and after a year's time their tests showed a lower blood pressure and lower LDL cholesterol.
Burning Calories: Cycling is a good way to lose unwanted fat in the body. Steady cycling can burn approximately 300 calories per hour. If you cycle for 30 minutes everyday, you would burn 11 pounds of fat in a year.
Cycling Benefits Pregnancy: Regular cycling is a great exercise during pregnancy because it improves cardiovascular fitness. It can also help in easing childbirth. However, pregnant women should take up cycling only after consulting a doctor.
Builds Strength and Stamina: Cycling is a good exercise to build up strength because every single part of the body is involved in cycling. It also helps in increasing stamina effectively.
Reduces Stress: Cycling is an outdoor activity that takes one''s mind out of everyday life’s monotony and stress and can help a person enjoy the fresh feel of Nature. Cycling also helps in improving an individual’s well-being and self esteem.
- Cycling Health Benefits - (http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Cycling_health_benefits)
Latest Publications and Research on Health Benefits of Cycling For Women
- Intradermal Administration of Atrial Natriuretic Peptide Attenuates Cutaneous Vasodilation but Not Sweating in Young Men during Exercise in the Heat. - Published by PubMed
- Cerebral hemodynamics and oxygenation during whole-body exercise for five days at high altitude. - Published by PubMed
- Cardio-respiratory fitness estimation from heart rate and body movement in daily life. - Published by PubMed
- Pedaling Performance Changing of Elite Cyclists Is Mainly Determined by the Fatigue of Hamstring and Vastus Muscles during Repeated Sprint Cycling Exercise. - Published by PubMed
- Acute Effect of High-Intensity Interval Cycling on Carotid Arterial Stiffness and Hemodynamics. - Published by PubMed