Facts and Research on Avocados
2) Avocados provide all the 18 essential amino acids that are necessary for the body to form a complete protein. These proteins and amino acids are readily absorbed in the body due the high content of fibers in the fruit. This is good news for vegans and raw foodists as they require more protein than others, and avocados provide them all.
3) Avocados are excellent source of carotenoids, which help to keep your eyes healthy. Every time you consume avocados, you provide good amounts of Vitamin A to your body and thereby protecting your eyes. They also enhance the functioning of the immune system and reproductive system. Carotenoids are fat soluble and hence these are absorbed well when taken with avocados.
4) Avocados are rich in beta-sitosterol. This compound has been shown to be effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels effectively. Study says that patients with mild hypercholesterolemia can decrease the levels of their blood cholesterol by 22 5% if they include avocados for a week in their diet. It has also been observed that they increase the levels of HDL by 11%.
5) Avocados have amazing anti-inflammatory benefits. The unique combination of Vitamins C and E, carotenoids, selenium, zinc, phytosterols and omega-3 fatty acids help to guard against inflammation and hence prevent osteo- and rheumatoid arthritis.
6) The fat content in the avocadoes, which is generally considered as unhealthy actually has the potential to provide protection against heart diseases. Oleic acid is the primary fatty acid generally present in avocados. Avocados are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are generally taken in the form of capsules for additional health supplementation.
7) Avocados have the potential to prevent birth defects. Avocados are rich in folates, a type of vitamin B commonly known as folic acid and is essential in preventing birth defects such as neural tube defect and spina bifida.
8) Studies show that the avocado intake increases the nutrient absorption in a person. In a study participants were given salads with avocados and it was observed that they helped in absorption of nutrients five times more than the participants who had no avocados with their salad.