Benefits of Exercise
Regular physical activity helps in:
- Improving cardiovascular endurance, which results in a happier and healthier heart.
- Reducing high blood pressure and controlling cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of arteriosclerosis and stroke.
- Controlling diabetes by increasing the resting metabolic rate and improving the body’s ability to metabolize glucose.
- Helping control body weight by mobilizing excess fat from the body.
- Improving muscular flexibility and strength.
- Increasing energy storage of the body.
- Increasing our tolerance to anxiety and stress, and enhancing our mood.
- Decreasing the risk of orthopedic injury by improving muscular flexibility.
- Reducing the risk of colon cancer.
- Improving sleep and increasing the REM state of sleep.
In growing children, regular exercise helps in:
- Bone and body development.
- Better functioning of heart and lungs.
- Building up cardiovascular and muscular endurance.
- Building up body reserves and enhancing body immunity, thereby improving the body’s capacity to cope with stress, diseases and injuries.
- Maintaining overall hormonal balance and metabolism.
- Providing an appropriate channel for the release of energy.
- Bringing about sound sleep and enhancing relaxation of the body.
In adolescents, exercise helps:
- Enhance good muscle mass and improving the strength of bones.
- Enhance physical appearance, making one look attractive.
- Performance capacity in sports and games.
- Improve the immune system of the body.
- Improve appetite and nutritional status.
- Improve brain efficiency, increase blood and oxygen flow to the brain, and increase growth factors that help in the growth of nerve cells and promote chemical release in the brain to boost cognition.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Shivani Nayar. (2018, December 10). Benefits of Exercise. Medindia. Retrieved on May 29, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/exercise-benefits.htm.
Dr. Shivani Nayar. "Benefits of Exercise". Medindia. May 29, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/exercise-benefits.htm>.
Dr. Shivani Nayar. "Benefits of Exercise". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/exercise-benefits.htm. (accessed May 29, 2022).
Dr. Shivani Nayar. 2021. Benefits of Exercise. Medindia, viewed May 29, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/exercise-benefits.htm.