Tips for Choosing Healthy Snacks
Food modifications and healthy snacking essentials have to be understood to be able to practice healthy snacking. Here are some tips to healthy snacking.
- Prepare yourself mentally and set a healthy eating pattern for yourself.
- Plan the snack menu.
- Make the snacks easily available for yourself. For example, store them in a container and keep it in your office cupboards or drawers.
- Make the healthy options easily available at home and keep the unhealthy ones out of the kitchen.
- Plan the items you would want to stock in your kitchen. Choose whole grain cereals, wheat breads, sprouts, fresh salad vegetables, and fruits so that you have only healthy snack options to opt for.
Snacking when you are traveling:
- Eat a healthy snack or a fruit just before you go out.
- Carry healthy options like nuts, soya milk tetra pack, and home baked chips.
- Choose beverages, soups, or a light snack when you need to buy snacks while outdoors.
- Do not pick up fried food or bakery products.
- Prefer to select steamed snacks over fried snacks.
- If eating out take control of the portion size. Do not overeat just because the serving size is large. Either order something which is small and light or share it with someone.
Ideas for healthy snacking:
- Snacks could be made tasty by using dressings, low calorie toppings, or salsa. Instead of butter use homemade dressings, dips, and chutneys to make sandwiches.
- Multi grain homemade baked discs or chips could be eaten with some exciting dips.
- Prepare baked snacks or steamed hot snacks which are fiber and nutrient rich (using millets like jowar, bajra, ragi, sesame, whole wheat, oats).
- For desserts and sweets, consider replacing the sugar with a sugar substitute.
- Indian Foods: AAPI’s Guide to Health Nutrition and Diabetes.
- Diwekar, R. Don’t lose your mind, lose your weight. Random House India, 2009.
- Laquatra, I. Nutrition for weight management In Krause’s Food, Nutrition & Diet Therapy; Mahan, LK., Stump, S.E, editors, 11th edition, Pheladelphia, 2000.
- Hursti, K. Factors influencing children’s food choice. Ann Med. 1999; Supp1; pp – 26 to 325. Koivisto Hursti. Factors influencing children''s food choice. Ann Med. 1999 Apr;31 Suppl 1:26-32.