Some guidelines for a person suffering from Alzheimer’s:
- Eat a balanced, nutritious diet with a variety of foods from each food group.
- Include 4-5 servings of vegetables and 1-2 servings of fruits daily.
- Avoid fried foods. Limit intake of foods with high saturated fat and cholesterol content such as egg yolk, meat, butter, cream and so on.
- Cut down on intake of refined sugars.
- Include turmeric powder in food preparations.
- Use less salt while cooking.
- Incorporate physical activity in your lifestyle.
Here are certain tips that can help caregivers of patients with Alzheimer’s:
- Limit distractions - Serve meals in quiet surroundings, away from television and other distractions.
- Keep the table setting simple - Avoid placing items on the table like a fruit basket or table arrangements that may confuse the person.
- Check the food temperature - People with Alzheimer’s are unaware if any food or beverage is too hot to eat or drink.
- Serve only one or two foods at a time - Serving more than 1-2 foods at a time can confuse the patient.
- Be flexible regarding food preferences - Keep personal preferences in mind when preparing food. People with Alzheimer’s may develop new food preferences or reject foods that they liked in the past.
- Give the person plenty of time to eat - Remind them to chew and swallow food carefully.
- Eat together - Make eating at least one meal like lunch or dinner a family event so that the person looks forward to eating meals.
- Serve finger foods - Bite-sized foods that are easy to pick and eat such as orange segments, cottage cheese cubes or steamed cauliflower pieces are preferable.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Vishruta Biyani. (2016, July 15). Diet and Alzheimer's Disease - Health Tips. Medindia. Retrieved on May 19, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/diet-and-alzheimers-disease-health-tips.htm.
Vishruta Biyani. "Diet and Alzheimer's Disease - Health Tips". Medindia. May 19, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/diet-and-alzheimers-disease-health-tips.htm>.
Vishruta Biyani. "Diet and Alzheimer's Disease - Health Tips". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/diet-and-alzheimers-disease-health-tips.htm. (accessed May 19, 2022).
Vishruta Biyani. 2021. Diet and Alzheimer's Disease - Health Tips. Medindia, viewed May 19, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/diet-and-alzheimers-disease-health-tips.htm.
Request an Appointment with a Doctor (Nutrition Expert)
7 years experience
12 years experience
Health and Nutrify clinic, Serlingampally