Dates are dry soft fruits with a sweet and delicious taste, which come from the date palm trees that grow in the desert.
Date palm is among the most ancient fruit trees that have been growing in the Middle East and the Indus valley for thousands of years. It was considered as the staple food for people living in those areas. Date palm was later introduced to different parts of the world starting from South East Asia, Northern Africa, Spain, Italy, and Mexico, and then to the United States during the 18th century.
Dates are of endless varieties. It can be classified as soft, semi-soft and dry dates. Like other fruits, dates are also seasonal products and therefore, the supply of fresh dates is always limited. Dates can also be used as ‘survival food’ on long trips or on hiking as it contains lots of nutrients, which boost the energy level, and it is easy to carry and ready to eat.
Nutritional Value of Dates:
Nutritive Value per 100 grams:
- Calories 282
- Total fat 0.4g
- Saturated fat 0g
- Polyunsaturated fat 0g
- Monounsaturated fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 3 mg
- Potassium 964 mg
- Total carbohydrate 110 g
- Dietary fiber 12 g
- Sugar 93 g
- Protein 3.6 g
- Vitamin A 0%
- Vitamin C 1%
- Calcium 5%
- Iron 8%
- Vitamin B-6 10%
- Vitamin B-12 0%
- Magnesium 15%
Health Benefits of Dates
- Helps in Weight Loss: Dates are rich in dietary fiber that free us from cholesterol and contain very low fat that results in weight loss. It also helps in keeping weight at a normal and balanced level for diet conscious people.
- Prevents Digestive Problems: Fresh dates are soft and easily digestible. It helps improve your digestive system, as it contains soluble and insoluble fibers and different types of amino acids.
- Keeps your Heart Healthy: Dates have high levels of potassium and low levels of sodium that helps keep your heart and nervous system healthy.
- Prevents Anemia: The high iron content in the fruit is beneficial for those suffering from anemia and boosts the amount of iron in their blood.
- Reduces Constipation: Dates are a healthy laxative food item that can prevent chronic constipation. Soaking dates overnight in water and having it with water reduces constipation.
- Cures Eyesight Problem: It helps improve your eyesight and reduces the chances of getting night blindness.
- Energy Booster: Dates contain natural sugars like glucose, sucrose and fructose that help in boosting your energy level. It has low calories and it is very suitable for health conscious people.
- Strengthens Bones: Dates strengthen your bones and keeps them healthy because they contain selenium, manganese, copper and magnesium.
- Relieves from Intoxication: Dates are commonly used as a remedy to cure alcoholic intoxication. You can soak dates overnight and have them next day to prevent from severe hangovers.
- Allergies: Dates contain organic sulfur that helps in reducing allergies in general and seasonal allergies.
- Diarrhea: Ripe dates contain a high amount of Potassium that is effective in preventing diarrhea.
- Healthy Pregnancy: Dates are rich in iron, so consuming the fruit by the pregnant mother can protect the mother and the baby from anemia. It also prevents several problems such as bloatedness, bowel pain and intestinal difficulties that occur in women during pregnancy. It improves the uterus muscles and smoothens the passage during delivery. It also prevents hemorrhage soon after childbirth.
- Healthy Hair: Want to have healthy hair? Dates are rich in iron content that promotes healthy circulation of blood flow to your scalp thereby helping healthy hair growth.
- Makes your Skin Look Younger: Looking for quick tips for a natural face pack? Well, date fruit is the new face pack. First, take 5-10 pieces of fresh dates and add half a lemon or orange to it. Remove the seeds and grind the dates along with lemon or orange till it turns thick like a paste. Before applying, wash your face with cold water and then apply. You can splash your face lightly with water to prevent the pack from drying up. Leave the pack for 10-15 minutes and wash your face with cold water. Use a towel and wipe your face dry. Try out dates face pack for instant glowing skin.
Dates Snack Recipe:
Feeling hungry and tired of eating raw dry dates? Here’s a simple, quick preparation for you:
- Take some pieces of dates in a bowl and wash them well.
- Mash the washed dates.
- Add some nuts like almonds, cashews and mix well.
- Take a handful of dates mixture and shape into round balls.
- Grab these balls and munch on them whenever you're hungry.
Dates, deglet noor
|Calcium, Ca||39 mg||3.9 %|
|Copper, Cu||0.21 mg||10.3 %|
|Iron, Fe||1.02 mg||5.67 %|
|Magnesium, Mg||43 mg||10.75 %|
|Manganese, Mn||0.26 mg||13.1 %|
|Phosphorus, P||62 mg||6.2 %|
|Potassium, K||656 mg||18.74 %|
|Selenium, Se||3 mcg||4.29 %|
|Sodium, Na||2 mg||0.08 %|
|Zinc, Zn||0.29 mg||1.93 %|
|Vitamin A||10 IU||0.2 %|
|Vitamin C||0.4 mg||0.67 %|
|Vitamin B6||0.16 mg||8.25 %|
|Vitamin E||0.05 mg||0.17 %|
|Vitamin K||2.7 mcg||3.38 %|
|Riboflavin||0.07 mg||3.88 %|
|Thiamin||0.05 mg||3.47 %|
|Folate, DFE||19 mcg||4.75 %|
|Niacin||1.27 mg||6.37 %|
|Fiber||8 g||32 %|
|Cholesterol||0 mg||0 %|
|Carotene, alpha||0 mcg|
|Carotene, beta||6 mcg|
|View all +|
Latest Publications and Research on Dates: Nutritious Desert Fruit with Health BenefitsUnderstanding selective predation: Are energy and nutrients important? - Published by PubMed
Finger Millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn.] Improvement: Current Status and Future Interventions of Whole Genome Sequence. - Published by PubMed
Crop pests and predators exhibit inconsistent responses to surrounding landscape composition. - Published by PubMed
Density feedbacks mediate effects of environmental change on population dynamics of a semi-desert rodent. - Published by PubMed
Binary Patch Assessment by Goldfish Under Safe and Dangerous Conditions. - Published by PubMed