Reliance General Insurance
The company is the first ever to be awarded 9001:2008 certification for End to End Services of General Insurance Product offerings across the whole of India and has also achieved recognition by Det Norske Veritas (DNV), an international quality audit organization. The brand philosophy of the company is LiveSmart- ‘change in attitude and approach to create better, smarter and innovative insurance solutions for customers’.
The various policies on offer in the health insurance sector are as follows:
Reliance Health Gain PolicyThis Mediclaim policy provides health insurance coverage for the entire family with a special discount for women and girl child. It is available in two options - Plan A and Plan B.
- Highly affordable premiums starting as low as Rs. 15 per day.
- Entry age: 5 years to 65 years.
- Policy term: 1 year.
- Option to choose the policy on individual or family floater basis.
- Sum assured option of Rs. 3/6/9 lakhs.
- Lifelong renewability.
- 5% discount on the premium for the girl child and single women.
- 5% discount on the premium for Reliance Private Car Package Policyholders.
- Hospitalization Expenses - Cashless hospitalization and coverage for in-patient treatment expenses in case of hospitalization due to an illness.
- Pre-hospitalization Expenses - For a period of 60 days before admission.
- Post-hospitalization Expenses - For a period of 60 days after discharge.
- Domestic Road Ambulance Expenses - Incurred on transport to the closest hospital in case of an emergent or life-threatening condition, up to Rs. 1500 in Plan A and Rs. 2000 in Plan B.
- Donor Expenses - Up to a maximum of 50 % of Sum Insured (SI) or Rs. 5 lakhs in case of an organ transplantation.
- Domiciliary Treatment - Expenses incurred on treatment at home for a condition that otherwise warrants hospitalization but is not possible due to unavailability of bed or poor condition of the patient. It is applicable after treatment at home for a minimum of three days.
- Replenishment of Base SI - In the case of exhaustion of the sum insured.
- Cumulative Bonus - Of 33.33% on sum insured for a claim-free year, up to a maximum of 100% of SI.
- Call Option - After four consecutive policy years without a claim, the cumulative bonus equals SI. In the fifth year, the policyholder may use the "Call option" to double SI by adding the cumulative bonus.
- Income Tax Exemption - Up to Rs. 3500 under section 80-D of Income Tax Act.
- Wellness Benefits - The policyholder receives R card on purchase of the policy which entitles the customer to discounts and offers on health and lifestyle services.
- Additional Benefits Under Plan B - Choosing plan B offers two other benefits:
- Accidental death cover amounting to Rs. 1 lakh after a claim free policy year.
- Free renewal of the policy in case the policyholder is diagnosed with a critical illness.
This policy primarily does not cover:
- Any claim in the initial 30 days of the policy period, except in the case of an accident.
- Certain conditions up to a period of 2 years, as mentioned in the policy document.
- Pre-existing conditions or diseases.
- Intentional self-harm or injury.
- Claims arising out of war or an act of violence.
- Treatment expenses related to HIV, AIDS, and other sexually transmitted diseases
- Dental and cosmetic treatment.
- Treatment of mental or psychiatric disorders.
- Non-allopathic treatment.
Reliance Critical IllnessThis health insurance policy from Reliance may be used as a top-up plan or individual policy to cover the expenses meted on the treatment of critical illnesses.
- Lump sum payment on the diagnosis of any of the mentioned 10 critical illnesses.
- Option to choose a sum insured of Rs. 5/7/10 lakhs.
- No medical check-up required till 45 years of age.
- Policy term may be 1 or 2 years.
- Critical illnesses covered - Treatment and surgeries of the following nature are covered under the policy:
- Category 1- Life-threatening
- Major organ transplantation
- Multiple sclerosis
- Burns (third degree)
- Aorta graft surgery
- Category 2- Lifestyle disabling
- Total blindness
- End-stage kidney disease
- Coma quadriplegia
- Heart valve repair/replacement
- Lump sum benefits - On the diagnosis of a critical illness and surviving a period of 30 days after the initial diagnosis in category 1 and 60 days in category 2 respectively. In the case of quadriplegia, the benefits are paid after a period of 90 days.
The few conditions not covered under the policy are as follows:
- Pre-existing conditions.
- Any critical illness acquired due to:
- Childbirth or related complications.
- Cosmetic surgery.
- Alcohol and drug abuse.
- Intentional self-harm/injury.
- An act of war or terrorism.
- Death within 30 days of the initial diagnosis.
- A diagnosis which has been ascertained by a family member or a person not registered as a medical practitioner.
Individual Personal AccidentBesides diseases, a major cause of hospitalization, disability and death may be an accident. Reliance Personal Accident policy offers financial security in case of unforeseen accidental injury or death of the policyholder.
- Entry age: 5 years to 70 years.
- Option to choose the policy on individual or floater basis.
- Option to extend the policy to cover medical expenses.
- Complete coverage of permanent disability as well as death.
The policy provides benefits according to the condition of the patient due to the accident:
- Accidental Death - Benefit to the tune of 100% of SI in the case of accidental death of the policyholder.
- Permanent Total Disability - In the case of permanent total disability, 100% of SI is paid.
- In the event of loss of two limbs or two eyes or one limb and one eye, 100% of SI is paid.
- In the case of loss of one limb or one eye, 50% of the SI is paid.
- Permanent Partial Disability - Benefit shall be paid according to the nature and percentage of disability, as mentioned in the policy document.
- Transport of Mortal Remains - A payment of 2% of SI is paid for the transport of mortal remains from the place of accident or hospital to the residence in case of death of the policyholder, up to a maximum of Rs. 2500.
- Extension for Medical Expenses - The option can be availed on payment of extra premium.
Personal accident policy does not cover the following:
- More than one compensation in the same period of the policy.
- Any claim arising out of:
- Intentional self-harm/injury.
- An act or war or nuclear threat.
- Pregnancy and childbirth-related complications
- Natural death.
Latest Publications and Research on Reliance General InsuranceRisk of retinal artery occlusion in patients with diabetes mellitus: A retrospective large-scale cohort study. - Published by PubMed
Inaccuracy of asthma-related self-reported health-care utilization data compared to Medicaid claims. - Published by PubMed
Health Care Sharing Ministries: What Are the Risks to Consumers and Insurance Markets? - Published by PubMed
Do Larger Health Insurance Subsidies Benefit Patients or Producers? Evidence from Medicare Advantage. - Published by PubMed
Advertising and Risk Selection in Health Insurance Markets. - Published by PubMed