How to Detect Fraud?
Fraudulent Claim Triggers
It has been observed that frauds pertaining to health insurance usually possess some sort of common trends or patterns. There are certain parameters that can be employed as a trigger to detect false claims or practices which have been enlisted below:
- Treatment expenses are usually on the higher side as compared to the etiology or routine healthcare expenses from that particular hospital.
- Unnecessary and costly investigations are being carried out.
- Diagnosis of the ailment and the investigations done are not in-sync with each other.
- Duration of stay in the hospital is for an extended period, with no positive outcome.
- Increased hospitalization admissions during a particular period.
- Post-operative histopathology reports are not available (surgical cases).
- X-Ray films and reports are not available.
- In most fraudulent claims, the treating doctor, agents, and ailments are the same.
- Medical bills are in serial order.
- Patient residence and the hospital, chemist address, are not geographically same.
- Fraud claimers usually purchase short-term policy with sum insured being low.
- Increase in per-patient cost.
- Higher number of per-patient average visits.
- Higher number of per-patient average medical investigations.
- Fluctuating monthly claims of the healthcare providers.
Measuring Fraud Data
Measurement of fraudulent data is an elusive target. No single method used for fraud detection is considered as wholesome or holistic.
Collection of fraudulent data is mostly done by a group in unison. It is never done individually. It is a gradual process done on piecemeal basis. In short, it is an ongoing process.
In addition, there are numerous independent agencies, fraud detection agencies, investigation agencies, legal agencies, insurance industry squads, watchdogs that conduct research on fraudulent data.
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Sameer Sippy. (2013, April 19). Fraudulent Health Insurance Claims - How to Detect Fraud?. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/insurance/fraudulent-health-insurance-claims-detect.htm.
Dr. Sameer Sippy. "Fraudulent Health Insurance Claims - How to Detect Fraud?". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/insurance/fraudulent-health-insurance-claims-detect.htm>.
Dr. Sameer Sippy. "Fraudulent Health Insurance Claims - How to Detect Fraud?". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/insurance/fraudulent-health-insurance-claims-detect.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Sameer Sippy. 2021. Fraudulent Health Insurance Claims - How to Detect Fraud?. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/insurance/fraudulent-health-insurance-claims-detect.htm.