Registration under ESIC Act
Registration is the process by which every employer of an establishment/organization/company and its every employee who are employed for wage purposes are identified for the purpose of this ESIC Scheme and their individual records are set up for them.
- The first step in this process is to obtain the particulars about each factory/shop/establishment that can be covered under ESIC Act.
- Subsequent to identifying such an organization, allotment of a number i.e. Code No. is carried out by the Regional Office.
- The aforesaid process helps in maintaining track of contributions payable/paid and the connected obligations of the employers.
- Subsequent step is the registration of employees of covered factories by the Regional Office and identifying such individuals by allotment of a number i.e., insurance number.
- This process facilitates in setting up necessary records for documenting the benefits for which the insured employee may be entitled under this ESIC Scheme based on the eligibility criteria.
- An individual record of each employer/employee will facilitate smooth changeover in future from time to time. It will act as a watchdog and keep a proper track for maintaining the records for the purpose of obtaining compliance from the employers and providing benefits to concerned insured persons.
Registration of Employers
Section 2A of the ESI Act states as under:
- 2A. Registration of factories and establishments-Every factory or establishment to which this Act applies shall be registered within such time and in such manner as may be specified in the regulations made in this behalf.
- 1.3. As a follow-up of this provision in the Act, Regulation 10B has been inserted in the ESI (General) Regulations, 1950. This regulation is as follows:
10B - Registration of factories or establishments
- The employer in respect of a factory or establishment to which the Act applies for the first time and to which an Employers’ Code No. is not yet allotted and the employer in respect of a factory or an establishment to which the Act previously applied but has ceased to apply for the time being, shall furnish to the appropriate Regional Officer not later than 15 days after the Act becomes applicable, as the case may be, to the factory or establishment, a declaration of registration in writing in form 01(hereinafter referred to as employers’ registration form).
- The employer shall be responsible for the correctness of all the particulars and information required to be furnished on the employer’s registration form.
- The appropriate Regional Office may direct the employer who fails to comply with the requirements of paragraph (a) of this regulation within the time stated therein, to furnish to that office employer’s registration form duly completed within such further time as may be specified and such employer shall, thereupon, comply with the instructions issued by that office in this behalf.
- Upon receipt of the completed employer’s registration form, the appropriate Regional Office shall, if satisfied that the factory or the establishment is one to which the Act applies, allot to it an employer’s code number (unless the factory or the establishment has already been allotted an employer’s code number) and shall inform the employer of that number.
- The employer shall enter the employer’s code number on all documents prepared or completed by him/her in connection with the Act the rules and these regulations and in all correspondence with the appropriate office.
EMPLOYERS CAN NOW SUBMIT APPLICATION ONLINE FOR REGISTRATION UNDER ESI ACT
- Employee's State Insurance Corporation - esic.nic.in