Last Updated on Jun 20, 2011


  • Poisons are substances that cause injury, illness or death
  • These events are caused by a chemical activity in the cells 
  • Poisons can be injected, inhaled or swallowed 
  • Poisoning should be suspected if a person is sick for unknown reason
  • Poor ventilation can aggravate Inhalation poisoning 
  • First aid is critical in saving the life of victims 


  • Medications 
  • Drug overdose 
  • Occupational exposure 
  • Cleaning detergents/paints 
  • Carbon mono oxide gas from furnace, heaters 
  • Insecticides 
  • Certain cosmetics 
  • Certain household plants, animals 
  • Food poisoning (Botulism) 

  • Blue lips 
  • Skin Rashes 
  • Difficulty in breathing 
  • Diarrhea 
  • Vomiting/Nausea
  • Fever 
  • Headache
  • Giddiness/drowsiness 
  • Double vision 
  • Abdominal/chest pain 
  • Palpitations/Irritability 
  • Loss of appetite/bladder control 
  • Numbness 
  • Muscle twitching 
  • Seizures
  • Weakness 
  • Loss of consciousness 

  • Seek immediate medical help
  • Try and identify the poison if possible 
  • Check for signs like burns around mouth, breathing difficulty or vomiting 
  • Induce vomiting if poison swallowed
  • In case of convulsions, protect the person from self injury
  • If the vomit falls on the skin, wash it thoroughly 
  • Position the victim on the left till medical help arrives 
For inhalation poisoning
  • Seek immediate emergency help 
  • Get help before you attempt to rescue others 
  • Hold a wet cloth to cover your nose and mouth 
  • Open all the doors and windows 
  • Take deep breaths before you begin the rescue 
  • Avoid lighting a match 
  • Check the patient's breathing 
  • Do a CPR, if necessary 
  • If the patient vomits, take steps to prevent choking 
Steps to Avoid
  • Avoid giving an unconscious victim anything orally 
  • Do not induce vomiting unless told by a medical personnel 
  • Do not give any medication to the victim unless directed by a doctor 
  • Do not neutralize the poison with limejuice/honey

  • Store medicines, cleaning detergents, mosquito repellants and paints carefully 
  • Keep all potentially poisonous substances out of children's reach 
  • Label the poisons in your house 
  • Avoid keeping poisonous plants in or around house 
  • Take care while eating products such as berries, roots or mushrooms
  • Teach children the need to exercise caution 

Most Popular on Medindia


shalin123, India

If any 3 years old child eat the match stic phosphorus, what should we do?

navyajayanth, India

hi my hubby had taken bed bug metasid poison[80% out of 250ml] and now from 13 days he is in ICU and he is not getting strength in body and now he is breathing through ventilator still but now in between he is breathing 4 - 6 hr per day with oxygen support. his pseudo choline is 1200 but yesterday it was 1900. im worried why its varies and pl tell me should i take him to any other hospital and how is his condition dr are saying he is not yet out of danger . pl tell me

teena7, India

thanks......but much more specific about treatment... incase of rural area wt is the primary care

jpds52, India

Thanks for your site and the contents. Information on first aid, i like very much as i am trainer in first aid for the last 25 years.
If you provide more photos on all subject it is very good to added to ppt.

thiru51, India

if a person took very harmful poison what should we do before going to a doctor