Last Updated on Jun 20, 2011
What is Dandruff?
- White flakes of dead skin
- Dandruff mostly affects scalp
- Not a health hazard but a nuisance
- A fungus, Malassezia
- It feeds on scalp's natural oils
- Produces acid which causes itch
- Other factors:
- Hormone production
- Oily skin
- Food habits
- Use anti-dandruff, conditioner-based shampoo
- Rinse scalp for 5 minutes with shampoo
- If resistant, apply 1 % hydrocortisone cream
- If severe, consult a dermatologist /trichologist
- Cannot be prevented but managed
- Use good quality shampoo
- Wash hair frequently
- Avoid using gels/ waxes
- Eat a healthy diet
- Psoriasis, Impetigo, Tinea capitis
Dandruff - Related News
It's time to go beyond hair loss treatment. Single chemical controlling life and death in hair follicles may now help treat baldness and also speedup wound healing.
Receding hairline (hair loss) is not only a man's problem. Women too suffer from hair loss problems such as hair thinning and unpleasant bald spots.
Skin inflammation and overall inflammation have a deep-rooted connection to stress.
Discover the surprising link between belly fat and hair loss. Explore the role of insulin-like growth factor, lifestyle factors, and ways to promote healthy hair growth.
More Related News
COVID-19 and hair loss: Learn about post-COVID-19 symptom telogen effluvium. Discover causes, impact, and guidance in this article.
A very nice article on first aid on dandruff. Dandruff is a problem which comes if you do not take care of your hair. As a medical counselor I have to say hair problems are growing in today's world. Skin disease, Genetic problem, Stress problems can account to hair loss problems. People keep neglecting their hair each day resulting to hair loss problem.