Human Immunodeficiency Virus attacks the CD4 immune cells, which are the immune system cells. CD4 cells trigger the immune system to create antibodies in order to fight off infection. As HIV destroys the CD4 cells, the function of immune system is suppressed and the affected person is not able to defend infection. As HIV reduces the CD4 cells, in your body, the person is unable to defend from infection. The immunosuppressed patient develops illness, infection and ultimately, AIDS.
Treatment for AIDS
Treatment strategy for AIDS virus involves the following principles:
- To have an effective drug that kills the HIV virus once it enters the body.
- To create a vaccine that would prevent the disease.
- To educate people worldwide about the dangers of AIDS and how to prevent the HIV infection.
On these principles current treatment against AIDS aims at:
- Anti-HIV (also called antiretroviral) medications are used to control the reproduction of the virus and to slow the progression of HIV-related disease.
- Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy (HAART) is the recommended treatment for HIV infection.
- HAART combines three or more anti-HIV medications in a daily regimen.
- Anti-HIV medications do not cure HIV infection and individuals taking these medications can still transmit HIV to others.
Latest Publications and Research on AIDS / HIV - Treatment
- Bictegravir, a novel integrase inhibitor for the treatment of HIV infection. - Published by PubMed
- Differences in the induced latent HIV reservoir in perinatal and adult infection. - Published by PubMed
- HIV persists throughout deep tissues with repopulation from multiple anatomical sources. - Published by PubMed
- [Monitoring and evaluation of hiv in catalonia, getting closer to the 90-90-90 objectives]. - Published by PubMed
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Reeja Tharu. (2020, August 26). AIDS/HIV Treatment - Drugs Protease Inhibitors NRTIs NNRTIs. Medindia. Retrieved on Jun 25, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patients/aids/treatment.htm.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "AIDS/HIV Treatment - Drugs Protease Inhibitors NRTIs NNRTIs". Medindia. Jun 25, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patients/aids/treatment.htm>.
Dr. Reeja Tharu. "AIDS/HIV Treatment - Drugs Protease Inhibitors NRTIs NNRTIs". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patients/aids/treatment.htm. (accessed Jun 25, 2022).
Dr. Reeja Tharu. 2021. AIDS/HIV Treatment - Drugs Protease Inhibitors NRTIs NNRTIs. Medindia, viewed Jun 25, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patients/aids/treatment.htm.
Do you wish to consult a General Medicine Doctor / Internal Medicine Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
4 years experience
4 years experience
, kodambakkam, Chennai
9 years experience
6 years experience