What are the different types of ComplexRegional Pain Syndrome?
There are two types of CRPS with similar clinical features but different causes.
Type 1 -
Follows an illness or injury that did not directly injure the nerves in the affected limb. Nearly 90 percent of persons with complex regional pain syndrome have type 1, otherwise referred to as reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) syndrome
Type 2 –
Occurs following a definitive evidence of nerve injury. The clinical features are similar to Type 1. This condition was earlier referred to as causalgia
What are the Symptoms and Signs ofComplex Regional Pain Syndrome?
- Persistent burning or stabbing pain, usually affecting an arm, leg, hand or foot
- Associated tingling sensation and numbness
- Increased sensitivity to light touch or cold causing excessive pain (allodynia)
- Increased perception of pain (hyperalgesia)
- Swelling over the affected area
- Skin discoloration
- Alternating sensation of hot and cold over the affected limb
- Excessive or reduced sweating over the area
- Nail and hair growth is affected in the limb
- Alterations in the texture of the skin
- Joint pain, swelling and stiffness
- Weakness of affected limb with muscle spasms and muscle wasting
- Difficulty in moving the affected limb
- Softening and fracture of bones in severe cases
- Rarely, spread of symptoms from original site to opposite side as well
The range and severity of symptoms variesfrom person to person. In many cases, there may be improvement with time.However, in a few cases there is persistent pain with symptoms lasting foryears. Occurrence of skin and nail changes with muscle spasms and tighteningcould indicate advanced and irreversible stage of complex regional painsyndrome.
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome - (https://familydoctor.org/condition/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/)
- Complex regional pain syndrome- Signs and symptoms - (https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/)
- What Is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (Crps)? - (http://www.painrelieffoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/DEALING-WITH-PAIN-CRPS1.pdf)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. (2018, September 21). Types and Symptoms of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome . Medindia. Retrieved on Nov 30, 2023 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-types-of-complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm.
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. "Types and Symptoms of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome ". Medindia. Nov 30, 2023. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-types-of-complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm>.
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. "Types and Symptoms of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome ". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-types-of-complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm. (accessed Nov 30, 2023).
Dr. Lakshmi Venkataraman. 2018. Types and Symptoms of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome . Medindia, viewed Nov 30, 2023, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-different-types-of-complex-regional-pain-syndrome.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Orthopedic Doctor for your problem? Ask your question
12 years experience
10 years experience
38 years experience