What are the Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome?
The major causes of dry eye syndrome include the following:
- Alteration of Tear Composition: Alteration in any of the components of tear discussed above can lead to dry eyes.
- Age: The natural aging process is a major factor for developing dry eye syndrome. In the case of women, this condition usually occurs after menopause.
- Disease: Certain disease conditions are characterized by dry eyes. These include Sjögren’s syndrome, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), scleroderma, vitamin A deficiency, and thyroid disorders.
- Medications: Certain medications that can cause dry eyes include decongestants, antihistamines, antidepressants, birth control pills, hormone replacement therapy, drugs for treating acne, Parkinson’s disease, and high blood pressure.
- LASIK Eye Surgery: This is commonly known as laser eye surgery and is used for correcting various types of eye disorders. This type of surgery can cause dry eyes, but is usually temporary.
- Reduced Blinking: Individuals who use computers for long periods tend to blink less often, which can cause rapid evaporation of tear, leading to dry eyes.
- Environmental Conditions: Dry, smoky and windy environments can accelerate evaporation of tear and cause dry eyes. Seasonal allergies can also cause dry eyes.
- Facts about Dry Eye - National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA - (https://nei.nih.gov/health/dryeye/dryeye)
- Dry Eye Syndrome - Medline Plus, U.S. National Library of Medicine - (https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/000426.htm)
- What is Dry Eye? - American Academy of Ophthalmology - (https://www.aao.org/eye-health/diseases/what-is-dry-eye)
- Dry Eye - American Optometric Association - (https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/dry-eye)
- Dry Eye Syndrome - Kellogg Eye Center, Michigan Medicine - (https://www.umkelloggeye.org/conditions-treatments/dry-eye-syndrome)
Please use one of the following formats to cite this article in your essay, paper or report:
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. (2018, October 13). Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome. Medindia. Retrieved on May 18, 2022 from https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-dry-eye-syndrome.htm.
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. "Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome". Medindia. May 18, 2022. <https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-dry-eye-syndrome.htm>.
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. "Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome". Medindia. https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-dry-eye-syndrome.htm. (accessed May 18, 2022).
Dr. Kaushik Bharati. 2021. Causes of Dry Eye Syndrome. Medindia, viewed May 18, 2022, https://www.medindia.net/patientinfo/what-are-the-causes-of-dry-eye-syndrome.htm.
Do you wish to consult an Ophthalmologist for your problem? Ask your question
17 years experience
Shree Ramakrishna Netralaya , Manpada Dombivili east