Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for squint?

You should consult an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) who has specialized in squint.

2. Can you correct a wandering eye?

Yes, by using appropriate treatment approaches early enough.

3. Do I have to keep anything special in mind when I take my child to the eye doctor for evaluation of squint?

Yes. If you have earlier photographs of your child, take them along with you when you visit the doctor. Photographs often reveal information that you might not have noticed.

4. I have heard that squint surgery is often performed on both eyes even though the squint is only in one eye. Is that true?

Yes. Sometimes, large degrees of squint require surgery on both eyes as too much of manipulation on the muscles of one eye is not ideal. This will not affect the other eye.

5. Can wearing spectacles alone cure a squint?

In some cases, where the squint occurs because of the refractive error, the squint disappears with the wearing of spectacles. This is especially true of squint that occurs when excess accommodation resulting from hypermetropia (farsightedness) results in a convergent squint.


Tamazi Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'll appreciate professional advice from any doctor who can brief me [I am a cardiologist practicing in Tbilisi, Georgia] on electrocardiographic changes in patients with strabismus. Thanks in advance, Tamaz Areshidze, M.D.

Most Popular on Medindia