Last Updated on Apr 06, 2017

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Which doctor should I consult for spinocerebellar ataxia?

You should consult a neurologist for evaluation of the condition.

2. How can I know that I am suffering from spinocerebellar ataxia?

If you have problems with maintaining your balance while standing or walking, difficulty speaking, or eye movements, you could be suffering from SCA, in which case you should consult a neurologist.

3. How serious is spinocerebellar ataxia?

Although SCA is not a life-threatening disease, it is a disabling condition that can adversely affect physical mobility. Since the disease is progressive, it becomes worse with time.

4. How can the doctor tell which type of spinocerebellar ataxia Im suffering from?

The neurologist will most likely refer you to a neurogeneticist, who will carry out genetic testing to find out which specific type of SCA youre suffering from.

5. For which SCAs is genetic testing available?

As of 2017, genetic testing is available for SCA1, SCA2, SCA3, SCA6 and SCA7.

Most Popular on Medindia